Sign in to follow this  
Deverill

Spybot Users

For those of you who use Spybot Seach & Destroy, and I know there are quite a few, they have a new version now that has over 1000 more nasty-little-programs that it immunizes against plus some new features.

If you use it, or if you are looking for a good program to kill all the spyware on your computer, check them out. security.kolla.de

Its version 1.3 and I found it this afternoon wen I was working on a friends. It has a different front end that walks you thru some of the preliminary steps. It first saves a backup of the registry, then asks if you want to check for updates and the asks if you want to immunize. It then puts you at the main screen.

It also asks if you want to create a restore point (xp).

Do I really want to let it do that??

Why not?

I usually make a restore point when I make changes to the system. If something goes wrong I can quickly recover with this restore point.

As long as it doesn't bring back everything I'm trying to get rid of if I need to do a restore. :Nerd:

If something goes wrong you will want a restore point. In that case then you're no worse off than when you started and maybe you can fix the problem and run it again. I think it's a pretty good idea unless they clutter your restore point list so that the one you saved on purpose 2 days ago can still be found and used.

It also asks if you want to create a restore point (xp).

I ran the new SpyBot here at home and I wasn't prompted if I wanted to make a restore point. It just went ahead and did it (displaying a dialog of course) before removing the 5 DSO exploits it found.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

I ran the new SpyBot here at home and I wasn't prompted if I wanted to make a restore point.

Maybe it does a check an found that you already had one and skipped over it.

I tried the security.kolla.de but that site was down so i googled and found www.safer-networking.org which brought me to the downloadpage on safer...site. Then i tried the "home" button which asked if i wanted to download index.php.

Should it ask me that or is it maybe a not so good site?

My SpyBot v1.2 doesn't seem to think there is an update available. When I run the 'Check for Updates' routine, it tells me there is no newer version available.

????????? ;)

My SpyBot v1.2 doesn't seem to think there is an update available. When I run the 'Check for Updates' routine, it tells me there is no newer version available.

Thats because the "update" option in the program is just checking for "data" updates...are there any new spyware programs or files to look for.

What has changed is the actual Spybot program, a newer version has been released and you need to manually download it and uninstall the old one and install the newer version. Yes its confusing but thats how this one is done.

I ran the new SpyBot here at home and I wasn't prompted if I wanted to make a restore point.

Maybe it does a check an found that you already had one and skipped over it.

Nope, it made a restore point automatically. No prompt, only a dialog telling me what it was doing. That's OK, I would have chosen to make a restore point anyway. ;)

It asks about a restore point when I install it but does one automatically every time I check for nasty programs.

The kolla site is being flooded with both legitimate traffic and occasionally a DDOS attack so keep at it. I have usually hit refresh and it would work the second time.