Sending Large Files Via Email

I've got a problem that hopefully someone can help me out with.

One of my clients insists that they be able to send large attachments via email. Using Outlook, when they send a message with a large attachment (over 3Mb), they get this message.

----------------------------------

Task mail.illios. net- Sending and receiving reported error (OX8004210B) the operation timed out waiting for a response from sending (SMTP) server.If you continue to receive this message contact your Server Administrator or Internet Provider

Now, the message actually gets sent to the recipient. However, since Outlook never receives notification that the task was successfully completed from the server, it remains in the outbox and repeatedly sends the same message over and over again.

Anybody got an idea on how to address this?

Thanks.

Well the first thing that coems to my mind is to stop sending large files. Email is for text not large attachements. It looks as if the SMTP server is not responding in time yet the email is eventually beeing processed. The way one should be sending large files is to upload the file to his web space and then send a link to that file for the other person to download.

Large files have a tendancy to corrupt via email as well. It just wasnt designed for this function.

I actually put up a post about this earlier in the week. I have a client as well that would like to send large files via email. Using Neomail he got this error message:

"Sorry, your attachments exceed the attachment size limit, which is 2 MB!"

Is there a way to raise this? I know that Yahoo has an option to send attachments up to 10mb.

I realize FTP is the best option but if sending larger attachments is possible, I'd like to give my client that option.

I actually put up a post about this earlier in the week. I have a client as well that would like to send large files via email. Using Neomail he got this error message:

Is there a way to raise this? I know that Yahoo has an option to send attachments up to 10mb.

I realize FTP is the best option but if sending larger attachments is possible, I'd like to give my client that option.

You would have to open a Help Desk ticket and ask the techs if it could be changed.

MY ISP has a two meg limit on receiving attachments via e-mail,

thats why I ask.

How do they do that??

Do they monitor the traffic directed to ports 110 and 25 on everyone's PC? How would they throttle that?

I could understand it if you were attaching to their servers for email. But, we're talking about using TCH servers here.

Back to my original question. Can the timeout on the SMTP server be increased?

Thanks,

Paul

How do they do that??

Do they monitor the traffic directed to ports 110 and 25 on everyone's PC? How would they throttle that?

Don is talking about the ISP servers not the TCH account, they can see everything passing through port 25 and 110 if they want to, it is their servers afterall that you are using. Regardless of how much your ISP allows you to attach for outbound mail they still may have a limit on the incomming.

To get a better understanding on your question

Using Outlook, when they send a message with a large attachment (over 3Mb), they get this message.

Is the SMTP server name a domain that is hosted here or the ISP's SMTP server? Is the SMTP port 25 or 26?

If the SMTP server is of the ISP then there is nothing we can change to fix it, if it is of the domain name hosted here than maybe. If it is port 25, change it to 26 and see if that fixes the issue. If it is 26 then we will have to look at it. If it is port 26 and mail.domainhostedhere.ext then a ticket will need to be opened.

It may be put at that size here to keep the mail server from being abused with people trying to send things that they shouldnt through email.

Edited by TCH-Rob

...we're talking about using TCH servers here.

Yes. It's a TCH-hosted account.

Currently, Outlook is setup to use port 25. I could easily change it to port 26. But, I don't see what difference that would make. Unless you set the SMTP service to have a longer timeout on that port.

I thought the use of port 26 was just to get around ISP blocking issues.

Please educate me. ;)

Here's what I heard from customer support (and I appologize for hi-jacking Paul's thread again)

Neo-Mail puts a 2mb limit on email file attachments. I asked them to increase it to 5mb and they did.

It solved my problem. I hope Paul can solve his.

Thanks for everyone's assistance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I know of a service that allows you to send files up to 1GB. And best of all, it's free! It's called YouSendIt(www.yousendit.com). You simply upload the file you want to send. The file is stored on the YouSendIt server for 7 days. The recipient will receive an email and all they have to do is click on the link to download the file sent to them! The good thing is it doesn't fill up mailboxes and the transfer limit is 1GB. That's some pretty large files that can be sent! You can send large files to your clients or have them send you any large file. Anyway, I hope this can help you out. It's sure helped make MY life easier!

www.yousendit.com

Bye.

:rolleyes:

Edited by TCH-Jim

I've got a problem that hopefully someone can help me out with.

One of my clients insists that they be able to send large attachments via email. Using Outlook, when they send a message with a large attachment (over 3Mb), they get this message.

Task mail.illios. net- Sending and receiving reported error (OX8004210B) the operation timed out waiting for a response from sending (SMTP) server.If you continue to receive this message contact your Server Administrator or Internet Provider

Now, the message actually gets sent to the recipient. However, since Outlook never receives notification that the task was successfully completed from the server, it remains in the outbox and repeatedly sends the same message over and over again.

Anybody got an idea on how to address this?

Thanks.

This is the post I wanted to reply to.....

thanks

I actually put up a post about this earlier in the week.  I have a client as well that would like to send large files via email.  Using Neomail he got this error message:

Is there a way to raise this?  I know that Yahoo has an option to send attachments up to 10mb.

Try www.yousendit.com

It allows you to transfer large files up to 1GB. It's free for end-users and they also offer entreprise servers to companies for sale.

Hope this helps......

Cheers!

:rolleyes:

Edited by TCH-Jim

FYI, this is the same as uploading it to your hosting account and emailing a link. The diference is that you cant upload anything larger than your free space, but you dont have to worry about a company you dont know handling your data for that time period.

Not saying anything bad about this service as I havent used it. I just dont want to sign up for anything when I can do it on my account without giving my data out to yet another place.