Neep Help With Wordpress Theme

Howdy,

I'm hoping I can find some help. I'm trying to get my webcomic off the ground, currently I'm using Wordpress with the Comicpress theme. When I try to upload a comic using the Comicpress theme I get: "The following files were not uploaded, or the permissions on the uploaded file do not allow reading the file. Check the permissions of both the target directory and the upload directory and try again"

..with the Comicpress theme I have to create a comics folder in the public_html folder. I have permission on the folder set to 777 but I keep getting the same warning. I have a friend who has his Wordpress/Comicpress with a different hosting company and I had him check out my install which he saw and said everything was in the right place. I'm at my wits end and I'm about to change to my friends hosting company just to be done with it but I'd prefer to just get what I have working...can anyone help me out here?

Welcome to the forum, artistxero. :)

Did you install wordpress manually or through fantastico?

Did you install the theme manually or through the upload feature inside wordpress? If the latter, please see if there is a directory called "upgrade" in the wordpress folder. If so, please remove it and try again.

The latter if I understand you correct. :)

If you log in to your wordpress folder either through ftp (easieset way) or through cpanel, you might see a folder called "upgrade", remove the whole folder and the comic theme and try installing the theme again.

I say might because depending what you have done previously in wordpress, this folder may be there, maybe not, but if it´s there, please remove it.

The problem I seem to be having is that when I use the comicpress manager plugin to upload a comic I get told that to check the permissions of both the target directory and the upload directory and the file doesn't upload. Comicpress requires that I have 3 folders in my public_html. Comics, archive and RSS. The manager seems to see the comic folder as it says there are 0 comics in folder. The manager does not see the archive or rss folders at all, it says there they are not generating and folders not found. The folders ARE there and their permissions are each set to 777. I've reinstalled the comicpress theme just now and the comicpress manager ive reinstalled a bunch of times to no avail. About the only thing I havent done is reinstall wordpress itself which is what I dont want to with a new hosting company. I jsut want this to work here. So frustrating..

Sorry for misunderstanding you at first, I thought it was only a theme and not a plugin too.

You say that Comics, archive and RSS are all 777, are one of these directories the upload directory for the comics?

I know from a test I once did with another plugin, the file went through wordpress own upload directory before it landed in the plugins upload directory. can that be the case (that wordpress own upload directory needs to be 777 too if it isn´t already I mean)?

I have an upload folder located in wp_content folder, it's permissions are set to 777 but 99 99 is the owner not me (whatever that means)

..and also my comicpress config.php is also owned by 99 99 and its permissions are set at 664 and I am unable to change permissions to 777..is this somehow my problem?

Now I see the problem. The folders are not owned by you, the server owns them, which is probably why you have problem with this.

Please submit a ticket with the help desk and ask them to change the ownership of these folders and files to you, then all should work. Link on top of page and in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe I am having a similar problem. Trying to upload an image and I get this message...

The uploaded file could not be moved to /home/*****/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2009/09. Permissions show that User has read, write and execute.

Thanks,

MB

Edited by TCH-Bruce
removed user info in path!