Can I Transfer My C-panel Sites To Tch?

Buffalo Gal

Hello,

I'm a new forum member, but I don't have a website with y'all yet. I am leanin' towards that as I read and see a family-friendliness with the fine support from the TCH tech's and fellow forum members here. Also, others have highly recommended you. There are so many of you here that are smart as a whip on all this technical knowledge. God Bless Ya, as so much of it is way above my head!! I'm just an individual who has created a few websites through help from a host website builder. Am I correct in thinkin' there is no website builder to work with on TCH? If there isn't any, what do y'all suggest for a newbie to use here at TCH? I'd like to keep the layout/style and the colors we have for websites already, that we want to move to TCH.

I do have two websites that have c-panel. Am I understandin' correctly that it'd be fairly simple to switch my websites that have the c-panel access, over to TCH? They were originally created with the host website builder. I'm not all that familiar with c-panel content, but I'm tryin' to learn. In one of the "Web Hosting Pre-Sales Questions", it says:

If your existing host uses cPanel, we can copy your existing site, username, mail, everything! Absolutely no headaches involved in moving. Also this works with any version of CPanel, so if your old host is out of date, there's no worries at all.

When you sign up for your account with Total Choice Web Hosting, mention in the comments field that your site is currently hosted using cPanel and you'd like for us to move it for you. Make sure that there is listed a way for us to get in touch with you to get the information we need to initiate the site copy.

If your existing site is very large, there is a chance that cPanel could time-out during the transfer. But it's always worth a shot!

Do you think that would that be hard to do? Would my sites be there like they are now or would I have to re-do them once they were at TCH? I figured from readin' here on the forums that I'd probably have to do a "Domain Transfer" for them. And, of course I do not have access to the registar. My current host does, since I obtained my domain name websites through them and they are the name servers. I feel like a complete dummy, but have learned a few things since researchin' for a new host.

I've just learned in the last few weeks how to create a web page on my own, using notepad. That was a huge hurdle for me! :potofgold: Only thing is, I'm tryin' to figure out how to get a leftside navigation menu with background colors and more on the menu, into each html page I've done through notepad. The websites I've created, they have my own background image and style. I'd like to keep them in the style and layout they are at present. Do ya think that's possible here?

Is there a limit to how many pages a website has with the different plans? And I'm assumin' that credit cards are the only means of payment for different plans. Am I correct on that?

I know I've thrown alot at y'all, but with the great support and help on the forums here, I'll get some answers to my questions.

Thanks so much for a wonderful forum where you can learn so much and everyone makes ya feel like "Family"!!

Edited by Buffalo Gal

Welcome to the forum, Buffalo Gal,

If the host that where you currently have this site use cpanel it should be possible to do a cpanel to cpanel transfer, all it requires is a ticket at the helpdesk. Link on top of page.

You would need to point the domain name to the TCH nameservers that are mentioned in the welcome email you receive when you sign up for an TCH-account.

Someone else will have to tell how to do if you have no access to this, so please hang on.

There are no limits on how many pages your site can contain as long you are not running out of webspace (see the different plans here and here.

As for payments, I believe you can use paypal as well.

Welcome to the forums Buffalo Gal :potofgold:

If you are looking for something to help you design web sites I recommend taking a look at Nvu.

As for transferring your domain, your current web host should allow you to move your domain names where ever you wish.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Thomas and Bruce:

I hadn't forgotten you. Thanks for the welcome!! Sorry for the delay in replyin' back to your posts. I've been extremely busy!

I also have been lookin' at web design software to help design my websites I want to transfer to TCH.

I think I need to re-phrase my initial post somewhat. I do have two websites that do have the c-panel. My websites were actually built with the host website builder before the host added the c-panel to the hosting plans. My email accounts are there, along with other files and etc. So, I was wonderin' really what would be the best; (1) to transfer the domain websites by the c-panel, or, (2) start fresh by transferin' my domain websites to TCH? Does that make any since, or did I confuse you more. :)

I do know the host should allow me to transfer the sites. I bought the domain names from the host and they are the name servers. From what I understand, if I did a "domain transfer" instead of through the c-panel, I'd have to contact them, and then they would have to contact the registrar to have them unlock the status so I could get it pointed towards TCH servers. Is that basically correct?

Hi Buffalo Gal,

Can´t speak for Bruce but now you made atleast me a little more confused. :P

As I see it, if a cpanel to cpanel transfer of your site is possible (only the helpdesk here can answer that, so please submit a ticket and ask, put N/A for all required info you don´t have), it would probably be the best.

With #2, do you mean it might be best to transfer only the domain but rebuild the actual content from scratch?

The domain question is basically correct. No matter you do a cpanel to cpanel transfer or rebuild the whole site here on a TCH server, you would need to have the domain point to the TCH server your account is on, so yes, you would need to tell your registrar to point it to the nameservers mentioned in the welcome email you receive when purchasing your TCH account.

How your current host and registrar handle this is something I unfortunately can not answer.

I hope this made more sense, otherwise please let us know. :)