Reverse Dns

rnmcd

Please move this to the proper forum. I don't know enough about DNS to know where to post this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is reverse DNS setup for the servers that TCH uses?

I was told that the reason that my emails don't get through to some email addresses is because they lack Reverse DNS.

Thanks.

I am answering the questions as you ask them, so if you ask the question in the wrong way I'll possibly give you an answer that you are not looking for.

You originally ask about "reverse DNS" and then you asked how to find the DNS server for your account, two different questions. There are different ways to arrive at this answer and I gave you one using your domain name.

A reverse lookup is way to determine the domain using the IP. Usually people have IP's in their logs and want to know what the domains are and use the reverse lookup to help. ISP's also use this to determine whether an email is spam by comparing the IP in the email headers to see if they match the domain. Spam usually "spoofs" the IP giving an incorrect IP so they cannot be traced back to the spammer.

So, if you can explain exactly what you are looking for maybe we can answer your questions correctly :clapping:

I was told that the reason that my emails don't get through to some email addresses is because they lack Reverse DNS.

This is one possible reason out of several possible reasons and it may or may not be the correct one. Email problems are becoming more and more difficult to troubleshoot because of all the checks put on it to help combat spam. If your emails are arriving at some places and not others then I would guess its because the recipients ISP or personal Spam filtering program has blocked it. Why it is blocking it and whether you need to make a fix or the recipient needs to make one would be the real question.

I don't believe a reverse DNS problem is the problem and you need to look in another direction. It maybe the way you have your email program setup to send your mail. The mail may just be sitting in someones spam folder. There could be a block at the ISP for all mail coming from your IP because of a previous abuse for spam from another account on your server, and on and on.

I am answering the questions as you ask them, so if you ask the question in the wrong way I'll possibly give you an answer that you are not looking for.

You originally ask about "reverse DNS" and then you asked how to find the DNS server for your account, two different questions. There are different ways to arrive at this answer and I gave you one using your domain name.

A reverse lookup is way to determine the domain using the IP. Usually people have IP's in their logs and want to know what the domains are and use the reverse lookup to help. ISP's also use this to determine whether an email is spam by comparing the IP in the email headers to see if they match the domain. Spam usually "spoofs" the IP giving an incorrect IP so they cannot be traced back to the spammer.

So, if you can explain exactly what you are looking for maybe we can answer your questions correctly :clapping:

I asked the question about how to find my DNS server because in order to reverse the DNS wouldn't I need to now what DNS to reverse?

This is one possible reason out of several possible reasons and it may or may not be the correct one. Email problems are becoming more and more difficult to troubleshoot because of all the checks put on it to help combat spam. If your emails are arriving at some places and not others then I would guess its because the recipients ISP or personal Spam filtering program has blocked it. Why it is blocking it and whether you need to make a fix or the recipient needs to make one would be the real question.

I don't believe a reverse DNS problem is the problem and you need to look in another direction. It maybe the way you have your email program setup to send your mail. The mail may just be sitting in someones spam folder. There could be a block at the ISP for all mail coming from your IP because of a previous abuse for spam from another account on your server, and on and on.

The only place my emails don't arrive is to aol accounts. I am positive that the emails don't go into the aol bulk/junk/spam box.

The emails arrive in other email accounts such as yahoo, gmail, and hotmail.

The only place my emails don't arrive is to aol accounts. I am positive that the emails don't go into the aol bulk/junk/spam box.

The emails arrive in other email accounts such as yahoo, gmail, and hotmail.

Are these email forwards to AOL? If so then your forward has been removed because they are not allowed anymore. See this post:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...st&p=189182

Another reason could be the IP for the server you are on is being blocked by AOL and someone from TCH will need to correct this.

I asked the question about how to find my DNS server because in order to reverse the DNS wouldn't I need to now what DNS to reverse?

:clapping:

ummm, no.

You do not reverse anything. Its a term they use to describe what is being done. Normally an IP is assigned to a domain and they lookup the IP from the domain. A reverse DNS is doing that, going in reverse from the IP to find out what the domain is.