2 Sites, 3 Domains...questions

drec

Hello - already got some helpful advice from support on this situation, but a new item just got thrown into the mix so I thought I'd double check before proceeding, and give the forum a try.

Currently we have Site1 on domain1.com. We also own domain2.com which just redirects to Site1.

Now we are creating Site2. We want Site2 on domain1.com, and Site1 on domain2.com.

Most important is that domain1.com retains it's presence on the web and that it goes to the new site without any glitches.

The old site on domain2.com will not be actively promoted; they just want to keep it online.

The newest request is that we also buy a third domain, domain1.ORG, and have it point to Site2.

So...support said we should open a new host account, upload Site2 and point domain2.com to it. Then, once we have both sites up, submit a ticket and they will just switch the 2 so that Site2 is on domain1.com and Site1 is on domain2.com.

Is this the best way to handle? Will it be transparent/immediate/without problems?

And for the third domain to point to Site2, is it just a simple buy & park after everything else is setup?

Thanks for any advice. It's probably not as complicated as it sounds to me...

And for the third domain to point to Site2, is it just a simple buy & park after everything else is setup?

Yes, when you buy the third domain, set the name servers to the ones for site2

then open a help desk ticket and ask to have it parked on site2.

And welcome to the forum and family :)

Guest GuestdrecGuest
Welcome to the forums drec :)

I'm not sure why you want to swap the first two domains .... but yes that could be done relatively easily with minimal downtime ( about a minute for most folk)

The first domain name has been around for years and is publicized. At first they wanted to just replace the old site with a newly designed one, but then decided to keep the old site online on the second domain (not my decision so I can't really explain why). Anyway, the idea is that the new site needs to show on the first domain which is the address everyone knows, and the old site can be found at the other, less important domain just in case someone needs to see it...

Thanks again. Sounds like we can go ahead without worry. I'm so glad we chose Total Choice so far -- you offer great support!

The first domain name has been around for years and is publicized. At first they wanted to just replace the old site with a newly designed one, but then decided to keep the old site online on the second domain (not my decision so I can't really explain why). Anyway, the idea is that the new site needs to show on the first domain which is the address everyone knows, and the old site can be found at the other, less important domain just in case someone needs to see it...

Thanks again. Sounds like we can go ahead without worry. I'm so glad we chose Total Choice so far -- you offer great support!

sorry - I forgot to sign-in - that was me drec, not guest :)

Does both sites show the same content?

If so, just drop a ticket at the helpdesk and ask them to park the domains. This way, the visitors will reach the site no matter they go to your-tchdomain-a.com or your-tchdomain-b.com.

No - there are 2 separate sites (similar but not same). The new site will be kept updated and publicized on first domain name. The old site will just pretty much sit there on a second domain. A third domain will be bought and parked at new site. sorry this is a bit confusing but I think I've got a handle on it now. Unless someone knows a better way I'll just follow the support advice and request the switch. Thanks!