Blogger To Wordpress

Hi All,

I have had a few frustrating hours trying to get my posts and comments from Blogger into WordPress which I just installed yesterday (I did a manual install so I have the latest version).

I am getting the same error as another member was recently getting (Nov. 10) when I try to use the WP Importer - however there was no solution posted in that thread except it was suggested he submit a ticket to the help desk. Therefore I can't get any help from that particular thread. The error I am getting is:

Warning: curl_setopt() [function.curl-setopt]: CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION cannot be activated when in safe_mode or an open_basedir is set in /home/*****/public_html/wordpress/wp-admin/import/blogger.php on line 99

Please don't tell me to submit a ticket to the Help Desk - I did that and was told to come here. I also was given a link to an article that may help except the article is obsolete for version 2 and up when I looked at it.

Also - my account was with Blogger but my posts and images are on my TCH server as opposed to Blogspot. I am wondering if I can't simply copy them to the wordpress directory or is this too simple? I was going to try copying a couple of the files from my blog directory to my wordpress directory but I can not figure out what folder to use in the wordpress directory. It would be nice if I could get the WP Importer to work but I have tried a few times - I tried using my Blogger Username and Password and then I tried using my Google Username and Password (I switched to the newer version and you need to sign up for a Google account). I always get the same error as mentioned above. I have looked at a few articles but it seems some of them don't always work and are for the older versions. I did see another thread in this forum where it states the WP Importer should work on TCH servers.

A question for Bruce - I used your tutorial for setting up WordPress (I think it was Bruce who did this tutorial). You mentioned it is a good idea to install the following 2 plugins at the start - the PlugIn Manager and Spam Karma. I found the Spam Karma and installed it but I can't find the PlugIn Manager - I did a search using that name plus the actual name of the file but I came up empty. Just wondering if you or someone could point me in the right direction.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I get out the hair dye . :( Thanks kindly for your time.

Gail

Sorry Gail, I can´t answer the error question, but hang on, someone else will know the answer to that one.

As for the plugins...

Spam Karma or some other spam filter is something you would need and Spam Karma is a well recommended plugin.

The plugin manager is a dead project I believe, so no need to try finding that.

The Plugin Manager plugin is no longer usable with version 2.0 of Wordpress and I think it has been discontinued.

As for the importing of a Blogger blog others have been able to do it. The "Curl" error is something the help desk will have to help you with.

Some people have had problems and for others it just worked.

Hi Thomas and Bruce,

Thanks very much for your responses.

So that is why I couldn't find the PlugIn Manager. I thought I was going bonkers again (or still am)! :)

Okay - I shall head back to the Help Desk and reopen the ticket. If I get things sorted out - I will post back in this thread and let folks know the outcome in the hopes it may help someone else.

Gail

Quick question: are you trying to import from Blogger, or Blogger Beta? If it's Beta, you're out of luck for now. The import script only works with the non-Beta version of Blogger. I know people are hacking around with new scripts, but nothing has made it into the WordPress trunk yet.

I am trying to import from the beta version - normally I don't even look at a beta version but the folks at Blogger are trying to get people switched over within a couple of months if I read it correctly. I should have left well enough alone. I have been thinking of trying WordPress for many months now - I should have done this sooner but a family crisis dictated otherwise. I can always continue on with Blogger for now if I have to and switch when the beta version becomes final. I assume then they will have the Import function working with this version.

Gail

Well, not all hope is lost. There are workarounds for you can pursue, but none of them are ideal.

For example, you can snag a copy of the Beta blog's site feed and run it through WP's RSS importer. This will import posts only and will only grab the 100 most recent posts (regardless of how high you set the number of items in Blogger Beta's settings). This is pretty easy, and it's better than nothing.

There are also exist hacks like this one, which is unfortunately pretty complex as it requires multiple WP installs and phpMyAdmin.

You know, now that I think about it, you could probably use Movable Type's surprisingly versatile mtimport format as an intermediary. You could set Blogger Beta to use a "faux template" that actually outputs mtimport files. You'd then save those files and use WP's Movable Type import script to pull posts and comments into WordPress. That seems like a very viable method. I'll look into that.

Hi joefish,

After discussion with TCH Andy, I have decided to wait until the folks from WP update the import tool to work with the new or beta Blogger version. I know there are various articles out there suggesting ways it can be done now but I don't think any of them are 100% certain. And, as you point out, some can involve many steps in the process. I will stay with Blogger for now and I can use the time to learn more about the workings of WordPress before I start using it.

Thanks for your interest though.

Gail

TCH Andy is a good fella. He's always been very helpful when I've dealt with him.

But I went ahead and worked something out anyway. My method is still more involved than a proper import wizard, but it exports all posts and comments and is much simpler than other methods. As a bonus, it leaves you with an offline backup of your Beta blog and it also works for importing Beta into WordPress.com (with a catch), Movable Type and ExpressionEngine.

I've naturally tried my own method, and it works smashingly. If you like, check it out here.

(Mods and Admins: is it cool to pimp my own (highly relevant) post here, or is it better to post the whole thing here on the board? I'm not up on the etiquette here yet.)

Hi joefish,

WOW! :clapping: You must have spent a lot of time on this. As Bruce says - it is very complete and I always find screen shots most helpful. I don't have a large blog so I may try it at some point. This old gal likes a challenge.

If I do try it and I am successful - I will let you know. Many thanks.

Gail

I just wanted to post back and say I have successfully imported my blog from Blogger to WordPress using joefish's tutorial. Initially, I had some problems but with some help from joefish - I got them sorted out. There was an error in the template (which is now corrected) and it seemed IE wasn't reading the line breaks correctly for whatever reason. For me, the import worked much better when I used Firefox as opposed to IE. The second time I used the procedure (I started from scratch again so I had an entirely new set of files) and used Firefox - everything went very smoothly and the import included all posts, comments, and images.

A big thank you to joefish for a job well done. :)

Gail

Hi Bruce,

Yes I had installed Spam Karma 2 when I installed WP as per your tutorial. Now I am busy reading the documentation and trying to edit the style sheet for a theme. There is lots to learn but I shall get there eventually. :) I haven't had a chance to check out the WP Support Forum but I will at some point.

Gail

I'm so glad I could help Gail. :)

Regarding the template error, I did actually have all the information entered correctly. It turns out that WordPress (or possibly one of my plugins) ignores forward slash characters, even when they're inside a pre tag. Who knew? Yeah, still my bad for not noticing it though.