Xp Install Won't Go... :(

QueenTiye

the file it is stuck on is cdaudio.sys. It gets there and sits... for hours, without doing anything. Why won't this file install, and what can I do about it?

Attempting to install XP NTFS. Priorly the hard drive had XP FAT. Does that have anything to do with anything?

QT

It could be a number of problems, including an issue with the CD.

Can you read the CD OK on another computer ? (including copying all files from it, to check that there is not a problem in a specific part of the CD).

Have you checked your hard disk? To make sure it has no errors. (You should be able to do this by booting to "DOS" from the XP installation disk.

I'm really concerned that its a hard disk error, because I was having problems before I wiped the drive and tried to install XP again.

OK - I don't know how to copy the files from the disk without installing XP a second time, and I don't know how to get to DOS from the installation disk. Can you give me some step-by-step help here?

QT