Blackcat

Upgrading phpBB

I noticed you updated the Cpanel, and it became available the automatic update of Phpbb from 2.0.17 to 2.0.18.

As my Forum is strongly visited and, most of all, sooo strongly modded :D , will it be the same if I make the update manually? Will it influence security? :blink:

I used the automatic update from Cpanel in August, because I had to leave for holidays and I did not have time enough. I lost ALL my Mods. No problem, I am now using a new template with three times the Mods installed on previous version. Well, this time I would really like to preserve my work :D

Thank you guys! :blink:

If you have modded your forum heavily you probably don't want to use the cPanel upgrade.

You would be better off getting the files directly from phpBB and updating your site manually.

Ther are usually a changed files only download, but read the info about it and I seem to remember you need to change your style back to the default just while upgrading.

I'm just getting started with phpBB and have a few questions. I installed the version in cpanel - 2.0.17, and have made a few changes to the default style. How do I upgrade to the latest release? Even though I'm just getting started I'd like to go through the upgrade process instead of re-installing from scratch so I know how to do it once the BB is live.

If I ask the help desk to put the upgrade file in place for an automatic update from cpanel, what do I need to back up first? Or if I do the update manually do I also need to back up files first? And which file do I download from phpBB, where do I put it, and how do I execute the update - I didn't see instructions for how to do this specifically on a TCH site anywhere, and the instructions on the phpBB site just said to download and run the file, without any further details - my apologies if it's posted somewhere else in the forum.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide, thanks. :xmas:

Head on over to the phpBB downloads page and download the files you need to do the update. You will find upgrade instructions there too.

Glad to see you are taking the initiative of upgrading. :xmas:

The helpdesk cannot do this for you. I would back up all of my data and then go to the phpBB site and get the latest version there. Go to http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php and get the version labeled phpBB 2.0.18 [ Changed Files Only ]. In the zip file you download there is an install file that will explain how to upgrade.

Edit: I type too slow when Bruce is here.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction - instructions were clear once I knew where to find them. I have the board upgraded and running fine.

I finally did the upgrade, three days ago...

I did everything manually, because I did not trust neither Cpanel option nor Easymod (even if it was suggested...) Results: every mod has been preserved, board is intact and updated, after something like 5.5 hours of work (until 3 am :unsure: ).

Obviously, the same day I noticed they released a newer version (2.0.19) : do Phpbb guys never sleep? ;)

do Phpbb guys never sleep?

Nope and neither do the people that keep trying to hack their work.

Nope and neither do the people that keep trying to hack their work.

We all hope the second category would sleep a lot :unsure: