Ie Update And Hotlink Protection

vikkic

Yesterday I submitted a ticket that my images were not able to be viewed by people using IE and the new upgrade. After frantically searching around, I took off hotlink protection and the images were viewable in IE again. This doesn't effect every IE - but ones with high secuirity settings (there is a long explanation several places on the web so I won't repeat them all here).

After searching the web this morning I found that the answer is supposed to be leaving the trailing slash off the list of sites that are allowed access.

In CPanel in Hotlink protection, I did enter the sites allowed without the trailing slash. Testing with IE shows the product pictures are viewable but not the graphics for Oscommerce (headers/background, etc).

My product pictures are all jpgs. As far as I know most all the Oscommerce pictures are gifs. But I do have gif in my list of allowed images...

I have these images allowed in my allowed

jpg,jpeg,gif,png,bmp

And these as my allowed urls

http://hand-dyedfibers.com

http://www.hand-dyedfibers.com

https://server70.totalchoicehosting.com

I'd of course very much like to protect my site from hotlinks but at the same time I want people to be able to see it. :) And I can't be the only one with this issue -

I'll keep searching the web for an answer but it's possible you have one already? I did request assistance from the help desk but was referred to the forum.

Vikki

No one?

Some more research is showing me that the graphics in the program are cached differently than the product pics.

That's why IE allows the product pictures to be seen with hotlink protection, but not the program graphics.

How this could be fixed is eluding me - but I hope to get an answer.

Vikki

Hi Vikki,

I'm sorry that nobody has answered your thread but it is against the forum guidelines to bump threads.

o Family Members may not bump threads.

Please remember this is the weekend and maybe the someone that can offer you some help may not visit the forums on the weekend. Give it some time and you might get an answer.

For me hotlink protection as enabled through cpanel has been nothing but a headache.

It works for a while then stops and no images can be viewed even on my own site.

I gave up on it.

There are some that say you are better off adding your own protection to your .htacccess file your self rather than using cpanel.

if you serch for that on google i am sure you will find more.

I would look for something else to be the source of the problem. When your browser says "I want to look at XYZ" the server will honor that request or not, depending on many things including hotlink settings. At that point the browser has no control over it, nor does the site depend on the browser to decide what to show and what not to.

Now, it may be true that you went to the site and it was cached and the new IE handles the cache differently. You should go to Tools - Internet Options and clear your cache to get a proper perspective on whether it is working or not.

I don't know what "bumped the thread" means. I was adding more information to my query, so that anyone answering would have more information to work with. If I did something wrong I'm very sorry.

Apparently the new IE upgrade is the culprit, and I'm not the only one with this problem with my web site and images with hotlink protection. The new IE upgrade turns off active x allows in the registry that you can't change in IE.

The fix is apparently adding about 6 lines of code to your .htaccess file, past the list of allowed web sites. but I'm not sure that this can be done through CPanel or not. Leaving off the trailing slash does help for many images.

I hope this helps someone! I'm sure as more and more people upgrade to the newest IE and can't see the images on web sites, this will be more important.

Vikki