Importing Posts From Blogger

Hi,

After installing WP on my server( http://www.mistymusings.com ), i tried to import my blogger posts as explained in http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...showtopic=19500 but I got stuck at the last step.

I now have all the posts in the WP dir as (date)*.php files after having published them from blogger to my WP dir but am not able to use the file import-blogger.php present in the wp-admin dir.

At the third step where I have to press OK, nothing happens and am stuck with the same page getting reloaded. Am i making a mistake here?

Thanks in advance & have a great day ...

Cheers,

Shriram

From your description, I wasn't able to tell if your files are named correctly. The files should be named in the following format:

year_month_01_wordpress.php

You should have one of these files for each month you blogged on Blogger. When I did my import, here are two examples of files that I imported:

2005_05_01_wordpress.php

2005_04_01_wordpress.php

If you filename isn't in that exact structure -- underscores and all -- then WordPress can't find the files to import them when you use the Blogger import tool.

I'd also recommend that you read the thread that Bruce suggested because it gives Andy's comment importer tool -- which, if you don't follow, you won't get your comments imported into WordPress. (That is, unless WordPress has fixed the Blogger importer. I'm not sure about that.)

Let us know if you have more questions. We love to help.

A big thanks for your replies :)

I didn't give the right description of the file names alright. here are some of them.

2004_07_01_wordpress.php 0 k 644

2004_10_01_wordpress.php 1 k 644

All the files reside in the same dir where WP is installed. i've installed WP on the root and not under a sub dir.

I am pasting the content of one of the files here.

<wordpresspost>3/18/2005 05:24:00 PM|||Shriram|||<div style="clear:both;"></div><span style="font-size:85%;"><span style="font-family: verdana;"><br />Get on up when you're down<br />Baby, take a good look around<br />I know it's not much, but it's okay<br />Keep on moving anyway<br /><br />Feels like I should be screaming<br />Trying to get it through to my friends<br />Sometimes it feels that life has no meaning<br />But I know things will be alright in the end<br /><br />I like the above quoted paragraphs from the song "Keep on moving" a lot . I guess it makes a lotta sense when you are kinda down and trying to gather yourself !<br /><br />I really hope things become alright real soon ...<br /><br /></span></span><div style="clear:both; padding-bottom: 0.25em;"></div>|||111114731935302597|||Keep on moving ...<wordpresspost>3/13/2005 05:42:00 PM|||Shriram|||<div style="clear:both;"></div><span style="font-size:85%;"><span style="font-family: verdana;"><br />Bruce Springsteen was bang on target when he sang<br /><br />"J</span>oke's on me, It's gonna be okay<br />If I can just get through this lonesome day ... "<br /><br /></span><span style="font-size:85%;"><span style="font-family: verdana;"></span><span style="font-family: verdana;">What more need i say???</span><br /></span><div style="clear:both; padding-bottom: 0.25em;"></div>|||111071627717395933|||Lonesome Day ...

I've gone thro both the links that you guys have asked me to go through and none of them has an answer for this problem :(

I think 'Bam' also faced the same problem as mine and i dont want to manually import the posts.

Any suggestions?

From your description, I wasn't able to tell if your files are named correctly. The files should be named in the following format:

year_month_01_wordpress.php

You should have one of these files for each month you blogged on Blogger. When I did my import, here are two examples of files that I imported:

2005_05_01_wordpress.php

2005_04_01_wordpress.php

If you filename isn't in that exact structure -- underscores and all -- then WordPress can't find the files to import them when you use the Blogger import tool.

I'd also recommend that you read the thread that Bruce suggested because it gives Andy's comment importer tool -- which, if you don't follow, you won't get your comments imported into WordPress. (That is, unless WordPress has fixed the Blogger importer. I'm not sure about that.)

Let us know if you have more questions. We love to help.

Those are the permissions of the files I have as well, and they seem to be in the right format.

Dang. I don't know what to tell you. You might try asking for help in the WordPress forums.

I assume that the blogger importer tools is located in your wp-admin directory... Because there is this line of code in the blogger importer:

>$archivefile = "../$bgy"."_"."$bgmm"."_01_wordpress.php";

and the ../ part of that code means that the importer will look for the files in the directory directly above the directory where the importer file is located.

I suppose you could replace that line with this one:

>$archivefile = "$bgy"."_"."$bgmm"."_01_wordpress.php";

And then copy all of your year_month_01_wordpress.php files into the same directory as the importer... but I'm not sure that would do a lot of good. It would only work if the probelm is that the importer is not finding the files to import.

Again, your best bet may be to go over to the WordPress forums and see if they can give you better help. Sorry I couldn't solve this one for you.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Hi Paul,

I finally found a fix at http://catsutorials.catsudon.org/?p=15#comment-249 :D

Looks like other folks had apparently faced the same problem and so someone has given a modified blogger import script which is available there and it works just fine.

I've now imported all my blogger posts along with the comments too.

If anyone else is facing the same problem, you may use the modified script too.

Thanks once again for helping me out Paul :clapping:

Cheers,

Shriram

Those are the permissions of the files I have as well, and they seem to be in the right format.

Dang. I don't know what to tell you. You might try asking for help in the WordPress forums.

I assume that the blogger importer tools is located in your wp-admin directory... Because there is this line of code in the blogger importer:

>$archivefile = "../$bgy"."_"."$bgmm"."_01_wordpress.php";

and the ../ part of that code means that the importer will look for the files in the directory directly above the directory where the importer file is located.

I suppose you could replace that line with this one:

>$archivefile = "$bgy"."_"."$bgmm"."_01_wordpress.php";

And then copy all of your year_month_01_wordpress.php files into the same directory as the importer... but I'm not sure that would do a lot of good. It would only work if the probelm is that the importer is not finding the files to import.

Again, your best bet may be to go over to the WordPress forums and see if they can give you better help. Sorry I couldn't solve this one for you.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.