Auto-delete Old Spam

toddcurry

I'm now sending all spam on my domains to a spambox (one for each domain).

People are *supposed* to check and delete email from this box, but no one does, really. Since no one is deleting mail in these boxes, it is piling up -- 8000 messages in one such box.

Can anyone recommend a script or utility that can automatically (cron job) delete spam that is older than n days?

I've seen archivemail at sourceforge, but haven't read much on it. If no one has suggestions, this may be my next experiment.

Thanks,

Todd

I don´t know any script that would do this but I do wonder why you save the spam?

If you disable spambox and just have spamassassin enabled you will  get nearly no spam eating your disk space.

Thomas,

I redirect the spam from all accounts on a domain to a spambox, using filtering rules. Once there, a lucky user can cull through the messages to see if there are any that aren't actually spam.

The people who are supposed to be checking those boxes aren't deleting messages, so the boxes are filling up.

I've found a few scripts to handle this:

- archivemail (very full-featured, but requires root to install)

- trash_monkey (working with this one, but not behaving at the moment)

- expire_spamboxes

But none of them is as easy ot install as my limited bandwidth could handle.

Thanks,

Todd

• 1 year later...

I have a similar requirement but for a slightly different reason. I don't want to turn SpamBox off and download all spam for filtering on my client because it will increase my traffic and my local storage by a large amount. But what I would like is for mail to stay in the spambox for a certain number of days (e.g. 7, 14 or 28), and then be automatically deleted. Alternatively the oldest 10% of SpamBox could be deleted every time it fills up. As others have said, I will not routinely inspect all the spam for false messages (life's too short), but there are occasions when someone claims to have sent me mail which never arrived, and I need the ability on these occasions to go into the spambox and check to see whether the messages are there.

Is there a way of achieving this, or something like it?

Thanks - Rowan

Thanks for your reply.

If I understand the description correctly ageing will only delete mail X days after it's been collected via POP3. I don't want ever to collect the spam by POP3. I just want the ability to go into the spam area within say 30 days via webmail and see if some specific message has got caught by the spam filter. Ageing doesn't seem to do what I want - or have I misunderstood something?

Thanks - Rowan

Edited by sylvest

• 7 months later...
No, I misled you. Sorry about that. Maybe someone else has an idea.

I've now written a script that does exactly what I want (leaves spam in a folder on TCH for a preset number of days, so the user can check it via web-mail for incorrectly spammed messages if he wants, then automatically deletes the messages). It's working well for me. If anyone would like to try this, please send me an e-mail.

Rowan