Internal Hyperlinks

Mae

I have one big problem that I want to solve before I sign up - links. Maybe you techie folks can help me (it's probably one of those duh things). My links between pages keep breaking. I fix them. I save them. They work. And then they break again. It's driving me crazy. I don't feel comfortable uploading to the WWW until I understand (and fix) this problem. I'm using Frontpage 2000. I click on the item that I want to act as a link (small graphic button w/text). I click on hyperlink. I click on the place I want it to go. I click ok. It works, and then later on everything breaks again.

Also, how do I upload FP once I have an account? Do I just click publish? What's next?

Please be patient...major newbie here... :D

Hi Mae,

Welcome to the forum :D

when it has broken - can you right click, copy the link, and then paste it here - we maybe able to tell you what is wrong with it then.

Once you have an account, with the domain name all set up, then yes, just click publish.

When you have a site in place, yes, you just publish FrontPage to it and you're off and running. I do recommend you upgrade to FP 2003, it is significantly better and more sound than FP 2000. Well worth the dinero.

When you say the link breaks, where is it breaking, in the "preview" pane of FrontPage or when you view the page in the browser?

Are you saving your page before previewing in Frontpage or in the browser?

Is the link within your site or is it in an external site?

My guess it the problem has to do w/ one of these processes and how the link is put into FrontPage.

When you have a site in place, yes, you just publish FrontPage to it and you're off and running.  I do recommend you upgrade to FP 2003, it is significantly better and more sound than FP 2000.  Well worth the dinero.

I would like to do that eventually - it's a bit pricey right now.

When you say the link breaks, where is it breaking, in the "preview" pane of FrontPage or when you view the page in the browser?

Maybe that's my problem. I don't know what you mean by "preview". When I open FP, I click Open, My Webs, and then My Documents w/all of the pages in it. I go to the page, make the link. All of the links seem to work until I edit a page or get out of FP all together.

Are you saving your page before previewing in Frontpage or in the browser?

Is the link within your site or is it in an external site? The links I'm having trouble with are within my site. I did have links to external sites - they all worked every time, and then last night they were all broken.

My guess it the problem has to do w/ one of these processes and how the link is put into FrontPage.

I have one big problem that I want to solve before I sign up - links. Maybe you techie folks can help me (it's probably one of those duh things). My links between pages keep breaking. I fix them. I save them. They work. And then they break again. It's driving me crazy. I don't feel comfortable uploading to the WWW until I understand (and fix) this problem. I'm using Frontpage 2000. I click on the item that I want to act as a link (small graphic button w/text). I click on hyperlink. I click on the place I want it to go. I click ok. It works, and then later on everything breaks again. This question may be above and beyond - but I imagine it would indicate your level of service (or not).

It's been a long while since I've used FP2000, it is two version old now... but in 2000 there is a view, as I recall, probably in the "View" menu, but also there is an icon for it, where you can view your page before publishing it. And, you can also view it in whatever browser you have set as your default browser. If you are attempting to check the link in development mode, it most likely would change to a broken link when attempting to play with it depending on what you are doing.

Difficult to know from this end without actually seeing the what you are doing.

I think I understand what you mean. I'll try viewing it. Thanks!

It's been a long while since I've used FP2000, it is two version old now... but in 2000 there is a view, as I recall, probably in the "View" menu, but also there is an icon for it, where you can view your page before publishing it.  And, you can also view it in whatever browser you have set as your default browser.  If you are attempting to check the link in development mode, it most likely would change to a broken link when attempting to play with it depending on what you are doing. 

Difficult to know from this end without actually seeing the what you are doing.

I have FP 2000 on my laptop, so maybe I can help. Have you put this on a web site yet or are you putting it together on your local system? If you can cut and paste the HTML code (found on the HTML tab), maybe it would help us visualize what's going on.

Just when you least expect it... :tchrocks: I suspect it may have something to do with the way you are editing the file(s) on your computer. If they break once you publish the site, then we'll have to work on that when it happens. Glad to hear it's working for now!