Problems Installing Wp 1.5.1.2

chroniker

I'm trying to install and set up wp 1.5.1.2 for a friend and I have a major problem.

The install went with out a hitch but when I log in all I get is a directory tree listing all files and folders, and all I get is a tree when I got to domain.com.

Since there is unrestricted access to the wp installation I would rather not show the site address in the clear (sorry guys, trust only goes so far), so if a member of TCH could get back to me I would appreciate it.

Well, I changed something by removing ref to serendipity but its still not right.

Look now. It was this line in your htaccess,

IndexIgnore .htaccess */.??* *~ *# */HEADER* */README* */_vti*

Once again the folks here at TCH rock.

Thank you Rob for your help and fyi the entry quoted was created by the WP install (of course you probably know that).

To everyone else here at TCH, I apologize for the cryptic nature of this topic but Rob and I have been pm'ing on a problem that I perceived as a security risk. With unrestricted access to the installation files and folders I did not want to run the risk of having the site jacked. Could it have been jacked? I don't know.

And Rob :blink:

Not all me, I had an inkling what it was but the real solver was RobertM. I could not see your htaccess and asked him to look in to it. As you sent me the contents of the file, Robert found it and solved it.

I am happy it is now working though. :blink:

Thank you Rob for your help and fyi the entry quoted was created by the WP install (of course you probably know that).

What led to that conclusion if I may ask? I have never installed WP and had it touch my .htaccess file. And I've installed it several times on several servers.

What led to that conclusion if I may ask? I have never installed WP and had it touch my .htaccess file. And I've installed it several times on several servers.

At one point during our pm'ing Rob asked what was in the .htaccess. Here is a partial to that response

There are 3 .htaccess files.

One in /(current folder) that says

DirectoryIndex serendipity/index.php

(yes, serendipity was installed and removed. Missed this, but I bet if I remove it now things will work)

This file was created on advice from the serendipity forums so that a visitor could go to *.com instead of *.com/serendipity.

After installation my friend decided that she did not like it and asked for other options. I removed serendipity and installed WP. Since this file was not in /public_html/ I did not get it removed prior to installing WP.

As for the other 2 .htaccess files, they were put there by the WP install. Here is the rest of my responce to Rob's question above

The other 2 are in /public_html/

.htaccess reads

File Type: ASCII text

# -FrontPage-

order deny,allow

deny from all

allow from all

order deny,allow

deny from all

AuthName www.texastowncrier.com

AuthUserFile /home/cmppgpky/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd

AuthGroupFile /home/cmppgpky/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.grp

-

.htaccess.old reads

File Type: ASCII text

# -FrontPage-

order deny,allow

deny from all

allow from all

order deny,allow

deny from all

The only thing that I did that deviated from a default install was create the .htaccess file for serendipity and place it in /. The reason that I say that the other 2 files were put there by WP is because I removed all files from /public_html/ that had the same date as the serendipity installation. Dangerous and careless? On hind site, most likely.

As for the FrontPage extentions, they were not installed by me.

The only time Wordpress will write to your .htaccess file is if you change the permissions to 777 and add perma links. Other than that WP does not touch or create a .htaccess file.

:) Now that you mention it, I did change permitions on a file, but it wasn't .htaccess. Or does it not matter which file is changed?