Wordpress Transfer

sigmadog

I've been working on transferring my database from my old server to TCH. Got that done just fine.

I loaded all my WorpPress files and updated the wp_config.php file to reflect my new settings which are patterned thusly:

-------

define('DB_NAME', 'user_XXXX'); // The name of the database

define('DB_USER', 'user_YYYY'); // Your MySQL username

define('DB_PASSWORD', 'ZZZZ'); // ...and password

define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

------

I've checked and rechecked these settings, and they match those set on the database, but I am getting the MySQL error:

-------

We're having a little trouble selecting the proper database for WordPress.

Are you sure it exists?

Your database name is currently specified as user_XXXX. Is this correct?

On some systems the name of your database is prefixed with your username, so it would be like username_wordpress. Could that be the problem?

Access denied for user: 'user_YYYY@localhost' to database 'user_XXXX'

----------

The only wrinkle here is that I've placed my blog in a subdomain so that the URL goes like: "http://www.blog.mysite.com" but that doesn't seem to be an issue by my reading of the error message. I've been to the WordPress Support pages and haven't found anything other than a trick to get the exact wording of the MySQL error, but no solution so far. Any thoughts?

Take your time, as I'm going to bed after a long day. I'll check in tomorr... er, I mean later today.

Thanks!

Yep! that's it. Thanks, guys! I missed that button.

It's working now.

Which brings up another question of security. WordPress has me store the wp_config.php file in the blog directory, but how secure is that information? Shouldn't it go outside the root? And if it is outside the root, wouldn't that create problems for other scripts within the application?

Sorry. I should probably look for other threads on this topic, but it just occured to me now.

That should not be an issue.  To ease your mind point your broswer to the wp-config.php file and then view the source of the file.

Yeah, I've done that. But my firm conviction, proven time and time again, is that I'm not necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, and my fear is that some dishonest fellow who is much smarter than I could find a way to read it.

Everything I've read so far says it's not a real big issue, and I have no reason to doubt it, so I'll go merrily along with the crowd and leave it where it is.

Thanks, Bruce!