Installing Vbulletin

Hi. I had someone else install a vBulletin forum for me but I need to make some changes or do an reinstall so I have a few questions/concerns.

Here are my questions:

• [1]Can I call the folder, that I install the vBulletin files into, something other than "forum"?

[2]I changed my cpanel password since the vBulletin forum was initially installed. Do I need to edit my vBulletin config.php to reflect that new password? If I don't what problems would I notice?

[3]the vBulletin installation instructions say to edit $dbusername, $dbpassword, and $dbname. Isn't the $dbusername the username assigned to me by tch? For some reason the person that installed the forum for me used: UsernameProvidedByTCH_UsernameProvidedByTCH
    [3a]Any idea why they typed the name twice? Is it necessary?
    [3b]Do I need to update my $dbpassword to the new password for my account?
    [3c]The $dbname is 'UsernameProvidedByTCH_{the name of the folder that I will install vBulletin in}', right?

Thanks.

1. You can but I have never used Vbulletin so I'm not sure if it requires making any extra changed in the script or DB to reflect the directory name change.

2. No that password should have no affect on the Vbulletin installation.

3. When accessing a database you must use cpanelusername_dbusername.

3a. They just used you cpanel username for the db username, but it can be anything.

3b. No they do not have to be the same.

3c. No the db can be cpanelusername_whateveryouwant

You should be able to do a fresh install and just plugin in the information for

$dbusername, $dbpassword, and $dbname

that way you will not lose any information in your db. The only issue I see is if you change the name of the directory.

Dick and rnmcd, about the database usrname and password, as Dick pointed, they have used your cpanel username for accessing the DB, so if you change it (the username), it will affect the Vbulletin instalation.

I haven't used Vbulletin in a long time but if I recall correctly, the DB username and password are stored in the config.php file, so editing it and changing the relevant values should have your board working with the changes you need to make.

[2]I changed my cpanel password since the vBulletin forum was initially installed. Do I need to edit my vBulletin config.php to reflect that new password? If I don't what problems would I notice?
REPLY: 2. No that password should have no affect on the Vbulletin installation.
If it doesn't affect the vBulletin installation will it affect something? Will there be problems with the database? What is that password, $dbpassword, used for?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the vBulletin installation instructions say to edit $dbusername, $dbpassword, and $dbname. Isn't the $dbusername the username assigned to me by tch? For some reason the person that installed the forum for me used: UsernameProvidedByTCH_UsernameProvidedByTCH

[3a]Any idea why they typed the name twice? Is it necessary?

REPLY: 3a. They just used you cpanel username for the db username, but it can be anything.
So if I change the dbusername to something else does that new dbusername need to be entered elsewhere? Doesn't it link/direct/correspond to anything?

Sorry about knowing so little about this process that I can't even use the correct terms :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[3c]The $dbname is 'UsernameProvidedByTCH_{the name of the folder that I will install vBulletin in}', right?
REPLY: 3c. No the db can be cpanelusername_whateveryouwant
Does the whateveryouwant portion relate to something? Does it create a database called whateveryouwant? Or do I need to create the database called whateveryouwant?

REPLY:[3b]Do I need to update my $dbpassword to the new password for my account?
REPLY:3b. No they do not have to be the same.
So I can just create any password here? Will it be used elsewhere? Certainly I can't just make something up and not need to use it again...will I be asked for it again?

Part of what is throwing me off here is that on the vBulletin site it says, Note:

Please note that Jelsoft / vBulletin Support can not provide the values you require for $servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword and $dbname. These variables are only available from the web host providing your web/database server.

But it seems that I, not tch, determine those values, right?

Thank you.

Part of what is throwing me off here is that on the vBulletin site it says, Note:

Please note that Jelsoft / vBulletin Support can not provide the values you require for $servername, $dbusername, $dbpassword and $dbname. These variables are only available from the web host providing your web/database server.

But it seems that I, not tch, determine those values, right?

A little of both. TCH created your cpanel username which affects those settings, but you can choose the rest. Go into MySQL Accout Manager and you will be able to see the name of your DB and the user for the DB. You can delete the current user and create and add a new one to the database. This way you will not have to worry about what the user and password for the database is because you created them.

Take a look here for a tutorial on Setting up MySQL Accounts.

http://help.totalchoicehosting.com/cpanel_...createmysql.htm

For the settings in your config file:

$servername = 'localhost';

$dbname = 'cpanelname_dbname';

$dbusername = 'cpanelname_dbusername';

$dbpassword = 'dbpassword';

Replace cpanelname with your cPanel Account Name, replace all the others with the account information you create. For example if your cpanel account name is George any database or database user you create will be added to that name. If you create a DB named testdb then it would look like.

george_testdb

If you just want to reinstall the script, you can use the existing DB and change the information in your ne config file. If you wish to start fresh just delete the old database and create a new one then enter the information for the new DB into your new config file.

I think I have the config.php file set up properly. But now I am getting this message when I try to access my website:

Database error in vBulletin :

Link-ID == false, connect failed

mysql error:

mysql error number: 0

Any ideas?

The last time I edited the config.php file I changed the dbpassword (in the config.php file) but I didn't change it wherever else it would need to be changed. Where would that be? I went into Mysql Manager but I couldn't find a password setup or anything related to a password...where should I be looking?

thanks.

For some reason, when I create a new user the letter "l" is being added to the end of the username. :dance:

I'm able to delete it and then add a new user but when I got back to the Mysql Manager it shows it with the letter "l" at the end of it...i've deleted it and added it several times but it has the "l" at the end of it.

The MySQL Account Maintenance shows that the account was created with the name I wanted but on the page that shows the username it has an "l" at the end of it.

I don't want to change my config.php file to reflect that name with the "l" at the end of it.

Any ideas?

thanks.