Is There A Php Upload Limit?

The-Kevster

Hi Kevster,

PHP itself has a 2 meg limit by default. You can change this default in your .htaccess file. Just put in your .htaccess file in your public_html directory (or the top directory of your forum software) the following line:

>php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

That would change the max file size allowed to 10 megs. Change the 10M if you decide you want a different file size allowed.

Edited by TCH-MikeJ

No, that doesn't answer your question. I don't know the answer and someone will be along to answer if they do. I just moved the post to a better forum for organization.

Sorry for posting in the wrong place, i couldn't see you'd moved it as i just followed a link in my email :)

Hi Kevster,

PHP itself has a 2 meg limit by default. You can change this default in your .htaccess file. Just put in your .htaccess file in your public_html directory (or the top directory of your forum software) the following line:

>php_value upload_max_filesize 10M

That would change the max file size allowed to 10 megs. Change the 10M if you decide you want a different file size allowed.

That work brillently, thank you, 10/10!

Just in case you need to know more stuff about the PHP configuration in your server, you can create a PHP file with the following contents:

<?php phpinfo(); ?>

When you access that file, it will give you all the info about how PHP is configured <_<

• 5 years later...

I've installed wordpress and came across the same error. i put in an .htaccess file in my upload directory, saying php_value upload_max_filesize 60m.

When I try to upload though I still get a message saying that the upload is limited to 8mb. Any possible reason for that?