Yes, and I just tried to create another one (****_test2), and added a user. I tried in both FireFox and Edge, and no matter what I enter into the PHPAdmin login prompt, I get the error message above, not reflecting what I typed in.
This is all prep, and neither of the databases I've created are anything important; I'm just trying to figure out how to do it. When everything works as intended, I hope to import a database created by a third party (I know there will probably be some significant bug stomping there, as well). I'm just too inexperienced to know if it's something I'm doing wrong, or something wrong with the bigger picture - my overall account configuration.