Huge Documents Appearing In Public_Html Directory

sigmadog

Not sure what might be causing this, but there are some very large documents being created in my Public_html directory. They are all named "core.XXXXX" with X being a series of random numbers. Each file is over 100 MB, and they seem to be created at various times during each day. I've looked at the files and they are mostly gibberish with some codey-like words sprinkled here and there, but I can't make any sense of them, but they are taking up major space, and adding up every day. I just deleted about twenty of them earlier today.

I've recently installed the WordPress framework UltimatumTheme and these mysterious files seem to have started around that time. I'm asking the support at Ultimatum this same question, but since they are fairly slow in responding I thought I would ask you folks here in hopes that someone might have seen this before.

Could this be caused by a WordPress plugin? If so, I can shut them down and restart one by one to determine which is the culprit.

I'm also wondering if this is worthy of a TCH support ticket, as it doesn't seem to be server related IMO. Would TCH support people be able to figure this out?

A core dump file consists of the recorded state of the working memory of a computer program at a specific time, generally when the program has terminated abnormally. Core dumps are often used to assist in diagnosing and debugging errors on programs. Normally core dumps are creating on a wordpress account because of outdated wordpress, plugins or themes or the conflicts with the installed plugins or themes.

On checking your account, I can see the plugin located at /home/*******/public_html/wp-content/plugins/essential-grid , appears to be the issue. It look like this plugins is conflicting with other plugins like jetpack etc.

Follow up: I deactivated all plug-ins and switched to a standard WordPress theme (twentythirteen, I believe) and suffered NO core dumps. I then activated my Sigmadog Theme only (no plug-ins) and am now getting core dumps again. Seems like the problem is with the theme.

Perhaps I need to dump it and start over.

Also, I've been told by some that PHP 5.5 will "work better with WordPress". I have no compelling reason to believe this, but thought I would ask if TCH is planning in upgrading from 5.4 anytime soon.

Please note that php 5.5, php 5.4 and php 5.3 are running on our servers, where php 5.4 as default. You can use the cPanel option "PHP Select" to choose to run your account on php 5.5

tmpDir really doesn't matter here, as its using the /tmp file system of the shared server - that is not full at any time.

Please note that php 5.5, php 5.4 and php 5.3 are running on our servers, where php 5.4 as default. You can use the cPanel option "PHP Select" to choose to run your account on php 5.5

Thanks, Alex. I did not know that. I'll try 5.5 and see if that helps me.