Defining Email Forwards

rarpsl

I have twice defined a set of email forwarders to a email address of the form user@my-domain. They get defined and when I send mail to that address they get echo'ed to the defined forward-to addresses. My problem is that a day later, the forwards have vanished and thus the address is now undefined again. If it helps, there is no actual account defined for the address - Only Forwards defined for it. Is the deletion due to the lack of an underlying account definition? If so, how do I define the account so that the messages do not accumulate but only get forwarded (the purpose of the address is to echo the incoming messages and there is thus no need to actually read the original message).

Due to the need to define the forwards one at a time (instead being allowed to supply a list), it is a pain to redefine them each time the system trashes the definitions.

Thank you.

Thank you.

There are 19 addresses and many (but not all) are AoL and Yahoo. All 19 have been deleted not just those with AoL or Yahoo domains. As a suggestion, if you ban Forward-To addresses with these domains, it might be useful (if possible) to do a sanity check when the request is made and pop up an error message (like you do for bad format). I do not know if this is possible since that capability might be in cPanel canned code that is out of your hands (like the inability to supply a list of addresses as opposed to the current one entry per address).

Is the reason for the other deletions due to the lack of an email account definition for the address being forwarded?

I have a feeling that the only solution to my problem is to make the 19 addresses a Mailing List (with no automatic subscribe ability and the need to be subscribed to have the incoming message echoed). Does the no-forwarding ban ALSO apply to Mailing List sent messages?

Thank you.

The removal of forwards is a script that is runs nightly, it is not part of cPanel itself since as you say it is supplied code so that's the reason there is no check.

If other forwards are being deleted try just adding those forwards without the AOL and Yahoo ones and see if they still get deleted. If so, please open a ticket with the help desk and ask why. I have not had any of my forwards deleted that are not on the ban list.

Mailing lists are not subject to the forwarding checks.

Thank you for your reply. I will define a few of the good forwards and leave them there for 2 days (so they are there for at least 1 delete cycle). I will then report back and if needed file a problem report. In the interim it looks like I will need to go the Mailing List route due to needing to echo to AOL addresses.

The removal of forwards is a script that is runs nightly, it is not part of cPanel itself since as you say it is supplied code so that's the reason there is no check.

If other forwards are being deleted try just adding those forwards without the AOL and Yahoo ones and see if they still get deleted. If so, please open a ticket with the help desk and ask why. I have not had any of my forwards deleted that are not on the ban list.

I just checked out the delete process and as I suspected it is broken. I created a Forward with one address and it stayed there OK for 3 days. I then added a 2nd address (this time an AOL) yesterday afternoon and when I just checked, the forward was gone (not only the AoL but also the good address that was acceptable for 3 days).

I will open that Trouble Ticket as you suggested.