Updating To 2.6.x

I'm still relatively new to WP, but not new enough that I don't need to already do an update to the new 2.6 version. (I think they rolled it out about a week or two after I started with 2.5... :thumbup1: )

My question about updating is this- When I FTP the new version, will it overwrite or delete any of the themes or plugins I already have installed? I have modified slightly the theme I'm using and would hate to have to rebuild the whole thing from scratch.

Thanks...

I'm still relatively new to WP, but not new enough that I don't need to already do an update to the new 2.6 version. (I think they rolled it out about a week or two after I started with 2.5... :thumbup1: )

The proper way to install updates to WordPress can be found here.

I maintain several WordPress sites and it's really simple to update. Here's how I do it.

• Backup my WordPress installation.
  • Disable all plugins.
  • I download the archive from the WordPress site and extract it on my machine.
  • Then I go into the folder it creates on my hard drive (wordpress) and zip up the folder.
  • In the cPanel File Manager I delete the wp-admin and wp-includes folders.
  • Next I remove all the *.php files from my WordPress folder.
  • Then I upload the zip file I created to my WordPress installation folder and use the Extract feature of the File Manager to put the new files there.
  • Then I run the upgrade file by pointing my browser to h*tp://mysite/mywordpress/wp-admin/upgrade.php
  • Re-enable all plugins I use.

Hope that helps.