301 Redirects And Subdomains

SEO

A family member asks:

I have a huge website that I split over about 5 subdomains, now I wish to redo the entire website and remove the subdomains.

Now since I can't just press restart on the googlebot, is it there advisiable to do 301 for every single page and have it point back to my index or do i need to do it so that all pages are 301 to there new page names?

What happens with subdomains? can I do a 301 for subdomains?

Thanks!

My first question would be, why do you want to restructure?

If your site is established with multiple inbound links and descent search engine rank, then yes it would be advisable for every page to have a 301 redirect.

You can do a redirect for a subdomain... we talked about that in a Htaccess, permanent page move thread.

I just set up 6 pages using the cPanel redirect feature. Is it not as efficient as htaccess file? Should I delete that and put it into the htaccess file instead?

-Samantha

Samantha:

The cPanel redirect actually alters your .htaccess file. Not sure what redirect it does, but a 301 is the correct (and best) way to go for a permanent redirect (with search engines in mind).

Thank you. Will read the other thread and make the change to the htaccess file.

By the way, thank you for the assistance on the keywords. My ste is now well placed by Google! Thumbs Up

-Samantha