A Few Wordpress Questions

I want to keep a structure similar to what my current site looks like, with a list of categories, where each category page has a list of title pages and each page containing the specific list

1. Should I create RSS widgets and have them link to a whole new category page for this? (It’s kind of hard to explain, but you can probably understand it better if you visit my site (in sig) and click on a topic link to see what I mean).

I don’t want to use wordpress as a blog, just for my lists I write.

I’m not sure how to set this structure up in wordpress.

2. Do I want to post my lists as “posts” or “pages”?

3. Should I create new pages just for the categories (like my "Advice Lists" page in my current site)?

When I finish “wordpress-ifying” my site, I want to move everything in cpanel from my “wordpress” folder to my “public html” folder.

4. Would all the internal links I create be safe after the move? (due to the URL structure missing the “wordpress” folders)

5. Should my permalink structure show the way it is now vs. how I want it to look?

(ex. http:/www.toptenlisted.com/wordpress-2.2/wordpress/%category%/%postname%/ OR

http:/www.toptenlisted.com/%category%/%postname%/)

6. And after I move everything would all the links change with it? (because this wasn’t the case with my old site)

After my site is completely transformed, would it be a good idea to:

7. Resubmit my google sitemaps and have all google information reset (as in indexed pages, adsense history, etc.)?

8. Reupdate every directory I submitted to, every signature I created, etc.?

9. Will changing my formatting (such as theme) drastically affect anything once my “wordpress-ifyed” site is brought online?

I already looked at different tutorials, but couldn’t find anything as close to what I am looking for.

I’d appreciate any assistance from people already familiar with how wordpress works, or if you know where I could look, etc.

(I also have college finals, working, etc. to focus on so I didn't have hours upon hours surfing to find the answers to one or two questions)

Thanks

When I finish “wordpress-ifying” my site, I want to move everything in cpanel from my “wordpress” folder to my “public html” folder.

4. Would all the internal links I create be safe after the move? (due to the URL structure missing the “wordpress” folders)

5. Should my permalink structure show the way it is now vs. how I want it to look?

(ex. http:/www.toptenlisted.com/wordpress-2.2/wordpress/%category%/%postname%/ OR

6. And after I move everything would all the links change with it? (because this wasn’t the case with my old site)

My suggestion would be to create a subdomain (wordpress.toptenlisted.com or something), and have wordpress running at the root of that subdomain. That way the only change that will be made when you move everything to your main site is the url, not the directory paths, and if anything did happen to get indexed to the subdomain, you could just redirect the subdomain to the main site after moving it.

9. Will changing my formatting (such as theme) drastically affect anything once my “wordpress-ifyed” site is brought online?

Theme changes for the most part won't affect anything other than how the pages look. Links and everything else should pretty much remain the same. I tend to make theme changes every so often and never have any problems doing so with incoming links.

As far as pages versus posts, I'll leave that to someone who's done more with pages than I.

My suggestion would be to create a subdomain (wordpress.toptenlisted.com or something), and have wordpress running at the root of that subdomain. That way the only change that will be made when you move everything to your main site is the url, not the directory paths, and if anything did happen to get indexed to the subdomain, you could just redirect the subdomain to the main site after moving it.

I'm not very familiar with subdomains, do I assign certain pages to them?

Do I create subdomains in cPanel?

Also, how would assign individual list pages (such as for Top 10 reasons...., which would go under advice.toptenlisted.com, so would it look like:

topten.advice.toptenlisted.com OR

advice.toptenlisted.com/topten

Thanks

Well, I was experimenting with pages, subdomains, etc. and I had some more questions:

10. Is it possible to assign certain pages to a subdomain?

(For example, I created a wordpress page titled “advice lists”, and I want to assign that page to my “advice.toptenlisted.com”, so when someone enters the subdomain in, they will be taken to my “advice lists” wordpress page.)

Is this even the best way to go about it (because I want these pages to contain a list of links to some of the lists I write)

11. Where can I find my wordpress-created pages in cpanel?

12. I’m still unsure of what the code for creating my custom permalinks would be?

(Because for some pages, they will be under the subdomain [advice.toptenlisted.com] and others wont even relate to my list pages [such as an “about me” page])

I’m not even sure if this is the right code for permalinks, but I know I want it to look something like this when I’m finished:

http://(subdomain or www).toptenlisted.com/top-ten-reasons/

Thanks Again

10. Is it possible to assign certain pages to a subdomain?

(For example, I created a wordpress page titled “advice lists”, and I want to assign that page to my “advice.toptenlisted.com”, so when someone enters the subdomain in, they will be taken to my “advice lists” wordpress page.)

Is this even the best way to go about it (because I want these pages to contain a list of links to some of the lists I write)

Wordpress is a database driven application. I'm not aware offhand of an easy way to create separate subdomains for different pages of the same wordpress installation. And just to clarify, my subdomain recommendation above was a single one for the whole site for testing until it's ready for primetime (then move it to your main domain).

You can, however, pretty easily have yourtchdomain.com/advice go to a specific page (link of lists for example).

11. Where can I find my wordpress-created pages in cpanel?

Wordpress uses templates to display the content you create. The content is located in the wordpress database. The templates are located under wp-content/themes/<yourthemename> for whichever theme you are using. When you create "pages" in wordpress, the theme file used to display it by default is "page.php". When you create a page, however, you can select within the wordpress site admin a specific template to use with that page that can be custom made, so you could have a separate template for each page if you liked (including references to different css styles).

12. I’m still unsure of what the code for creating my custom permalinks would be?

(Because for some pages, they will be under the subdomain [advice.toptenlisted.com] and others wont even relate to my list pages [such as an “about me” page])

I’m not even sure if this is the right code for permalinks, but I know I want it to look something like this when I’m finished:

http://(subdomain or www).toptenlisted.com/top-ten-reasons/

Like I mention above, I'm not sure of an easy way to do it with subdomains, but for pages, at least for "Date and Name based" permalink structure under Options->Permalinks, it'll default to yourtchdomain.com/page-slug-title/ as the url to access the page (slug can be defined when you create the page on the right hand column, or it'll be auto-created based on the title of the page if you don't specify it).

Wordpress is a database driven application. I'm not aware offhand of an easy way to create separate subdomains for different pages of the same wordpress installation. And just to clarify, my subdomain recommendation above was a single one for the whole site for testing until it's ready for primetime (then move it to your main domain).

So are you saying that it would be better for my main site to have a directory like:

http://www.toptenlisted.com/advice/top-ten-reasons

THAN subdomains like:

http://advice.toptenlisted.com/top-ten-reasons

Also, is it possible to assign URL’s to certain wordpress pages? Or is that all done after I move everything?

Wordpress uses templates to display the content you create. The content is located in the wordpress database. The templates are located under

wp-content/themes/<yourthemename> for whichever theme you are using. When you create "pages" in wordpress, the theme file used to display it by default is "page.php". When you create a page, however, you can select within the wordpress site admin a specific template to use with that page that can be custom made, so you could have a separate template for each page if you liked (including references to different css styles).

I think I am still unsure about the whole “pages” thing, if I’m understanding this correctly:

-The page.php will move into whichever template you are currently using for your site

- I can’t view individual wordpress pages in cpanel (to assign them to a specific part of the “public html” directory)

Wordpress is a database driven program. Your pages are served from a database using a template. There are no static pages that you can view through cPanel.

In your example:

So are you saying that it would be better for my main site to have a directory like:

http://www.toptenlisted.com/advice/top-ten-reasons

THAN subdomains like:

http://advice.toptenlisted.com/top-ten-reasons

The first link would take you to a post or page with a post slug of top-ten-reasons that would be tagged as being in the advice category (providing your blog was in your root [public_html] folder).

The second line would take you to a post slug of top-ten-reasons with no category (which you can't do so it would have to be defined as a page and not a post).

I don't know any better to explain how a blog works. It may not work for what you want to do.

I have never tried (or think it's possible) to use subdomains within Wordpress. Usually Wordpress is installed in the root of your domain (public_html) or a folder (set up as a subdomain) inside the public_html folder.

To my knowledge you can't reference a page as a subdomain. You might be able to if you're a hard-core .htaccess kind of guy, but it hardly seems worth the effort.

You should create a page for each category. So, if you have a category called Top Ten Reasons you would end up with a page URL like this:

yourtchdomain.com/top-ten-reasons

That page will be like a table of contents for the Top Ten Reasons category. From this page you will link to all of the list pages that you write for that category.

So let's say you write a list called Top Ten Reasons TCH Rocks. You would write the page and assign the category page top-ten-reasons as its parent. That way, depending how you have your URL rewrites set up, it should look like this:

yourtchdomain.com/top-ten-reasons/tch-rocks

If you haven't already, install WordPress through Fantastico and try it out. You can always uninstall and reinstall when you're ready to do it for real.

That page will be like a table of contents for the Top Ten Reasons category. From this page you will link to all of the list pages that you write for that category.

So let's say you write a list called Top Ten Reasons TCH Rocks. You would write the page and assign the category page top-ten-reasons as its parent. That way, depending how you have your URL rewrites set up, it should look like this:

yourtchdomain.com/top-ten-reasons/tch-rocks

This is exactly what I want to do, but when I create pages, the URL looks nothing like that.

Also, how exactly could I have my “list of links”, because when I create a hyperlink to the page, it would change when I move it to the main site, or is there any special plugins or something I could use to create a “list of links” page?