Stats - Hosts Section To Become Working Urls

In the 'hosts' section of the stats, it lists IP addresses and websites that have visited your site. I always find myself selecting and copying some of these addresses into the URL. After a while, it gets time consuming. Is there any way (such as the config file) to modify AWStats so that this section becomes/resolves to clickable links? This is the one thing I absolutely loved (and miss) about Webalizer.

Not that I am aware of but you could install your own copy of AwStats in your account and modify it.

Actually I'm not sure why you would want to do this when there is a links section below that you can click.

I wouldn't want someone connecting to my IP for any reason.

Not that I am aware of but you could install your own copy of AwStats in your account and modify it.

Actually I'm not sure why you would want to do this when there is a links section below that you can click.

I wouldn't want someone connecting to my IP for any reason.

So you wouldn't know the exact parameter I would need to change?

IMO, the links section spits out a huge list of URLs and rather useless information. Mine was long and it didn't resolve to domains often. I gather more precise info going through my logs. The reason why I like to check who's visiting my website is to see who's interested in my artwork - no other ulterior motives.

So if I wander to your site and look around, you will then turn around and try to visit my IP?

I'm with Bruce on this one. Not nice. It's one thing to track down folks stealing content, bandwidth, etc. But otherwise, you are being too nosy! And makes me wonder what you accomplish by doing it.... :(

I think it should be explained that the "hosts" section in Awstats refers to the actual computers visiting your site (or the external interface for the network the computer is on) - it is not referring to websites that send traffic your way.

It doesn't bother me if you visit my IP address (if my network isn't secure, well too bad for me), it just seems like a waste of time for you because there's nothing there.

As for the original question of how to make them links, I don't know of anything in the Awstats config file that you can change. You can find the manual here if you want to check further.

For instance - if I see an architect 'mail.csgarchitects.com' for instance, I know someone is interested in my architectural work from csgarchitects. It tells me I'm making progress work-wise and I'm gaining recognition as an artist. It's not much different than seeing 'X amount of visitors' viewed your website. Your cpanel tells ALL OF US the domain anyways regardless... If it's that much of a concern, then take out the hosts section for all your users. Personally, I think it's useful. All I said was 'too bad this couldn't be a hyperlink.' You can always just copy and paste that portion in the URL. Webalizer made them hyperlinks by default. The majority of web analyzers do as a matter of fact.

It's not like I'm trying to dig through personal information or spy on anyone. I always ignore plain IPs anyways.

I'm checking some of the businesses that check me out. Perhaps there's some miscommunication here, but how is that wrong? If you really think it's that bad - you minds as well remove the 'hosts' section for everyone. All I meant was 'make it a hyperlink. Geez - you people are way too paranoid...

Don't you check out who links to you? Is that any different????

I usually check out the Referring sites section. This list often has links to the site actively sending visitors to my site. Like to see what the link is and where it is located. This gives me far more insite to the type of visitor, where they came from and depending on the language of the link or page information, it can do more to identify what generated the interest. Unfortunately the Referring sites list also has search engines and sites that don't mean anything too.

Charles,

I'll agree that there are some paranoid-types 'round these parts. If you don't want anyone poking around your IP, disconnect your computer from the Internet. :thumbup1:

My point on this was just that they are probably not links because they wouldn't really go anywhere if they did. You might find some that do, but that is likely the exception not the rule. Personally I'd like to see the host names automagically become links to an IP WHOIS lookup, but that's just not what Awstats does.

If you need extra functionality that Awstats doesn't provide, your best bet is to find another stats program that does and parse your logfiles offline.