Problems With 'windows Update'

KevinW

This is a bit off the normal course of topics, but assuming that many of us do use Microsoft Windows on our home or business PC's -- recently there has beena flood of postings at various Microsoft newsgroups with people having problems with Windows Update.

In some cases, the update they try to select doesn't install at all. In other cases, after installing an update, if you rerun Windows Update, it will report that the update needs to be installed, as if you had not installed it.

Here are some Microsoft links on this subject:

Windows Update Site Lists Updates That You Already Installed

Windows Update Troubleshooter Guide

Software Update Incomplete, This Windows Update Software Did Not Update Successfully" Error Message

HOW TO: Download Windows Updates and Drivers from the Windows Update Catalog

-kw

After going back to a restore point prior to an update, the update needed to be reinstalled. But it wouldn't reinstall because it said it was already installed, but the update page said that it wasn't installed, but BelArc Advisor said it was installed,...well you get the idea.

I contacted microsoft tech support via email for help in getting the problem resolved. After about 2 weeks of corresponding with them, we finally got the install to go proper. Seems like a big hole in the restore process.

Moral of the story? Don't screw up and have to do a restore! :P

I've never (knock on wood) had to do a system restore.

One advantage with Windows XP is that you can now *undo* a driver that you just installed that doesn't work. Why? Because I never rely on using Windows Update to update drivers!

I did one time, during a huge memory loss - mine! It was a driver to update a wireless NIC card. I should have known it was worng when Microsoft reported the vendor as 'Generic' - instead of 'Linksys'. Well after installing the update, the wireless NIC wouldn't work. Fortunately, I could go back and select to "roll back" to the previous driver.

-kw