Externally Hosted E-mail And Web Site Functionality

editor

These are probably stupid questions, but here goes...

I'm a very happy TCH customer overall, but their low sending limits may require me to have my e-mail hosted elsewhere (I publish a newsletter with 1300 subscribers and growing). Would doing so affect the sendmail function of my CGI scripts in any way? Would having my e-mail hosted on a different server affect any other common Web site function?

These are probably stupid questions, but here goes...

I'm a very happy TCH customer overall, but their low sending limits may require me to have my e-mail hosted elsewhere (I publish a newsletter with 1300 subscribers and growing). Would doing so affect the sendmail function of my CGI scripts in any way? Would having my e-mail hosted on a different server affect any other common Web site function?

Perhaps you could look into a utility that will spread out the emails that you send to keep them under the limits? I use "32-bit Email Broadcaster" to send upgrade announcements to my customers and, other than the time it takes to send them all out, everything works fine. I just set everything up and go to bed. You'll need to talk to someone at TCH to get the correct email interval so that you won't violate your limits.

Regards

Dan

Perhaps you could look into a utility that will spread out the emails that you send to keep them under the limits?

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually what I've been doing. I use GroupMail Pro to send individual, personalized newsletters and it takes about 9 hours to mail my list at a rate that's in accordance with TCH's limits. I managed okay when I sent my newsletter once every five weeks, but expansion plans may now have me sending a smaller, DAILY newsletter! Content for each issue will be heavily dependent upon timely feedback from the previous edition. A 9-hour+ send time means that I may find myself working on the new issue before subscribers have even received and read the previous one. That's simply not workable! :)

You can contact the help desk at the link above and they'll square you away.

Ummm.... Square me away concerning what, Steve?

Are you asking me to submit a ticket to get my CGI sendmail question answered?

Maybe you're hinting that TCH now has something available that will accommodate clients with large mailing lists like mine! That would be great :) (and worth paying extra for, by the way, if that's what it takes). Having to move my e-mail to another host is a pain and not something I would prefer to do!

Edited by editor

I send email newsletters for work as well but I bypass my TCH domain when sending and use my ISP's SMTP server to send the messages.... I've been pretty successful doing it this way.

My ISP allows 100 messages to be sent at a time to a maximum of 1,000 per hour. That rate would certainly be workable, however.... When one spends good money for the purchase of a domain name and spends years building a brand around it, sending mail from your home ISP seems -- no, IS -- just plain unprofessional!

Edited by editor

My ISP allows 100 messages to be sent at a time to a maximum of 1,000 per hour. That rate would certainly be workable, however.... When one spends good money for the purchase of a domain name and spends years building a brand around it, sending mail from your home ISP seems -- no, IS -- just plain unprofessional!

Using another service to send out large mailings will have no effect on your TCH account (email generated by CGI's will still go out just fine). Even if you change your MX records to point to another email service, your account will still be able to send email out.

TCH, though, is primarily a webhosting service, not an email service (beyond the basic support for regular email, not large lists), which is why we have limits on the sending of emails to limit damage caused by blacklists to other customers on the same servers. The only option we provide at this time for controlling your own limits on sending emails is through our dedicated server solutions.

Even though the email is sent through my ISP account it still says it's coming from our domain and the return address is one of our domain addresses.

Even though the email is sent through my ISP account it still says it's coming from our domain and the return address is one of our domain addresses.

I thought about doing that, but doesn't addressing e-mail in this way run the risk of triggering some types of spam filters? In other words, isn't there some potential that spam filters will stop mail from being delivered because it originated from someplace other than where the "From:" address indicates within the message (which in this case would be one of your domain's e-mail addresses instead of the real source, your ISP account e-mail address)?

Yes, some will. But I have had my customers white list the email address and I've been successful. Only have one customer having a problem.

Thanks for stickin' with me on this, Bruce. I need just a little bit more help in order to get my head wrapped around what you're telling me... :thumbup1:

I've already asked my subscribers to whitelist "my_business@my_domain.com".

If I send them mail that originates from "my_home@my_isp.com" but have "my_business@my_domain.com" in the "From:" and "Reply-to:" fields, are you saying that the message should make it past most spam filters?

No offense, but aren't spam filters supposed to be "smarter" than that?

Also, isn't it possible that some ISP's may have rules in place forbidding their users from doing this sort of thing (that is, from faking addresses in outgoing e-mail)?

Well, I have SBC DSL and it's been working for me. And yes, that's what I am saying. I have an email account set up in my sending program that logs me into the SBC SMTP server with my SBC address but the emails have from "support@my_business.com" and reply to is set to same.

It's not a fail safe solution but as long as it works I will continue to use it.

Thanks to all who replied to this topic, and especially to TCH-Bruce. Just "talking" it through has given me clarity concerning how to proceed.

I began by stating that "I'm a very happy TCH customer overall," and I remain so. The helpfulness demonstrated here is just one of many reasons why! ;)