Installing Amember Trial

webgyrl

Hey gang!

I am installing the 30 day trial version of aMember to test it for one of the sites I do pro bono work for and I have run into a strange error.

I got thru the setup just fine until the last step (Step 6)

In Step 6 it reccomends that I:

Before aMember is ready to use you will also need to do the following:

Go to the Admin page and Login. From the Main Menu on the left select Utilities>Setup/Configuration These settings may be used to tune your installation. Enable any additional payment plugins that you need, then visit the plugins configuration section and enter your settings.

I tried to go to the Admin Page link here:

http://www.indiemanagers.com/amember/admin/

But I get the following error:

Warning: Smarty error: unable to read resource: "admin/login.html" in /home/indiema/public_html/amember/smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1102

Does anyone know why I would get this error and how I can fix it so that I can finish up the installation?

The amember/ and the amember/data folders have been CHMODed to 777. Should there be something else that should have RW permissions so that I can finish the install or is this some other issue?

I navigated to:

public_html/amember/smarty/

and the file smarty.class.php is there.

But I do not see the file admin/login.html there in that folder

I looked at the folder I extracted from the zip file on my local drive and I don't see any html files in that smarty folder.

I am gonna run a search on that folder to see if I can find login.html anywhere.

In the ADMIN folder I do see a login.inc file. What is that?

I used SmartFTP and changed the upload mode to BINARY instead of AUTO TRANSFER TYPE. Maybe this messed up the HTML files?

I got Lianna's notes before I did the install for reference. I don't see anything about this kind of error there.

I am going to see if aMember has some kind of support forum for the Trial.

But if you think of anything, I'm gonna keep this window open to check back. Gotta get this working!

Don,

Would it be disasterous if I changed the login.inc.php file and renamed it login.html?

Do you think that might work?

Yeah I have the PDF documentation in front of me right here. I did BINARY for all files.

I went back to look at the folder on my local site and the login file in the admin folder is also named login.inc.php.

There is a login.php file in the base amember folder.

This is strange.

Did you do this step first?

To use the Web Based Setup browse to: 

http://www.yoursite.com/amember/setup.php

Yes I did do that and that is the initial page it brought me to to configure. The last step is "Step 6"... and that is where I am stuck like glue.

HMMM I used the IconCube Version.

Maybe that is the problem?

I also used SMART_FTP

Maybe I should get the ZEND distribution and then use filemanager?

Did you upload the actual .zip file to your public_html folder? How did you go thru that proccess?

OK let me delete the amember folder I have now and start from scratch using the Zend distribution.

I'll create a new folder in public_html called "test" and upload the zipped file there.

When you say you used FTP... did you use an external program or did you upload the zip file in cPanel?

I think I'm just gonna start from scratch again and delete the database and the amember folder.

We shall see what happens.

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to chime in.

Well I deleted everything, got the Zend distribution and installed per Don's instructions and it worked!

Thanks Don.

Maybe there is some issue with the IonCube distribution of the script? Not sure.

Thanks again and again and again.

Ok just a quick (well maybe not so qucik... :) ) question here.

I am setting up this trial and want to have anyone who ends up becoming a member enter a whole new PROTECTED website.

I am stepping thru the Admin section here and I created a new folder in the site called MEMBERS

it is in this folder:

public_html/amember/members

It is asking me to choose a protection method and they say it is better if you use one method for all your protected areas.

The options they give are the following:

htpasswd

Usual htpasswd protection. Popup login box will be displayed when member enters into protected area, and it is impossible to avoid this box with this method of protection. Any type of content can be protected. Special configuration required to track customers access and use account sharing protection

new_rewrite

Most advanced method of protection - user will see your custom HTML login form. This method can protect ANY type of content, and will NOT cause problems with complex PHP scripts residing in protected area.

Access sharing prevention works automatically with this plugin.

php_include+mod_rewrite

An advanced method of protection - user will see your custom HTML login form. This method can protect any type of content, but may cause problems with complex PHP scripts residing in protected area. Remember, you do not need to specially protect third-party scripts if you have enabled aMember integration plugin for it. For example, if you are using vBulletin-integration plugin, you do not need to protect vBulletin using this tool - just use vBulletin permission management controls.

php_include+auto_prepend_file

This method can protect only PHP and HTML files, not images. It may cause problems with SSI files (files having .shtml extenstion). This method does not protect images or downloadable content in the protected folder - only PHP and HTML files.

php_include

This method can protect only PHP files and applications, nothing else. This method does not protect images, HTML files or downloadable content in the protected folder - it protects PHP files only.

You have to manually install this protection (edit your PHP files)

I am thinking that the new_rewrite method would be best because we will have PDFs, images, web pages with all kinds of content for members to download and peruse.

Is anyone familiar with these protection methods and which one is better for the use of the organization?