A Few Questions Before I Choose

Guest leiavoia

Guest leiavoia

I have a rapidly growing site that is getting too expensive for my current host. I love their service and stability and their features, but it simply is going to cost too much. I plan to change hosts, but also add a major overhaul to my site, so i have some questions about *****:

1) Is there a DB size limit? My site is going to be database intensive and needs some room. It will also host a phpBB forum. My current host limits me to 10MB - not enough.

2) I understand the only way to admin my DB is through phpMyAdmin, correct? Are my permissions limited?

3) is the DB on the same machine as the account or is it seperate? (mostly just curious)

4) If i upgrade plans, do i get charged for the remainder of the term i signed up for, or do i need to pay for a whole 'nuther year?

5) is there any way to run perl scripts from the command line without SSH? do i need to turn it into a CGI program just to run it?

6) some of the items on my site *might* need cron - does this cost anything and is it easy to set up?

7) how may websites are currently being hosted by *****?

8) can i place custom .htaccess files in my directories?

9) is the bandwidth limit one big chunk, or is it apportioned out to (limit / 30 days) [i.e. is there a daily limit?]

10) are there any limits on file sizes (size of *one* file)

11) do i get access to server log files so that i can download them for my own analyzing? My current host zips them every Sunday night for easy download. Does ***** do this as well, and does it cost, if so?

Thanks for the info, i'll post more Q's if i think of any. I need to know soon, i have one week to switch my host!

Guest leiavoia

oh, and very important:

- can i preview my site before the domain name switches over? I have quite a few scripts that need to be re-wired, and there is always something that doesn't go right when you switch servers like this. just planning in advance.

Ok here we go -

1. No limits on DB limits. Only limited by your Allotment of Hard Drive Space per plan.

2. No same server.

3. phpadmin is correct. No limits are placed on that.

4. No we prorate it for you and charge the difference.

5. You can run Perl and if you like we can grant SSH to you. (Manager approval is needed).

6 Cron is included with all accounts cept the budget. And yes its point and click easy!

7. We are not allowed to disclose numbers. We have many servers and many accounts.

8. Yes you can control .htaccess

9. No daily limit on BW. Based on Monthly figures. But remember shared hosting means shared.

10. No lmits of file sizes - limited only to your allotment of Disk Space.

11. You have full access to you server logs. Anytime they are right in your control panel.

Whew, I need a drink.....

If you have any more ?'s just let us know.

Thanks