Spf Records & Tch

Etanisla

I'm looking around for a domain registrar that will let me add SPF records to my domain without forcing me to have my hosting and/or email services at that same registrar. (I'm quite happy with the hosting and email services provided by TCH, and I don't want to move!)

Of course, if TCH can let me have my cake and eat it too, that will be a good thing...

"...done for them" ... how?

I'm asking because I have a blog on a domain that is hosted by TCH. But the domain is registered with someoneelse. The point of contact email is with Gmail. Because I don't have a SPF record setup, Gmail screams fits everytime my blog sends an admin email to my Gmail account.

I just spend the weekend changing registrars to someoneelse-over-there that had advertised "we let you edit spf records!" Only to find that the gotcha was that I had to have my hosting and email services with them as well.

I'm not moving my hosting from TCH, no-way, no-how. So, now I have 60 days to research (like I shoulda done before this weekend, oh well) a registrar that will let me edit my SPF record as I please, without forceing me to move my hosting and email services.

So my pre-sales question is: Will TCH's registrar's services allow me to edit my DNS TXT records by hand to allow me to enter SPF records?

(edit, added pre-sales question)

The point of contact email is with Gmail...Gmail screams fits everytime my blog sends an admin email to my Gmail account.
The problem is with gmail not TCH.

"...done for them" ... how?

If you host a site here you get unlimited email accounts with your hosted account, this email is using the email servers of TCH.

You are using a third party email service and you are at their mercy.

I'll back out now and let someone at TCH answer your pre-sales question.

So my pre-sales question is: Will TCH's registrar's services allow me to edit my DNS TXT records by hand to allow me to enter SPF records?

A clarification... Your registrar has nothing to do with your SPF setup. Your name servers do (where your name servers are hosted). If your name servers are located at TCH, regardless of who your registrar is, you can submit a help desk ticket to have the TXT record for your SPF setup for you, but you will have to provide the exact SPF string you want defined. (Note for resellers: You can define your own DNS entries in WHM for your clients).

And for those onlookers who are completely confused.... SPF stands for Sender Policy Framework.

Bob, the problem really isn't with GMail. They are just using one of many spam fighting methods to help identify what is legitimate mail. Having an SPF record defined does help your email to no be blocked or marked as spam by email providers.

Thanks for jumping in mike. I was already at the pobox site rereading to see if I could make heads or tails of what the problem could be, its been a little while since I read about it.

Bob, the problem really isn't with GMail. They are just using one of many spam fighting methods to help identify what is legitimate mail.

Well I guess thats debatable :) , Etanisla says its legitmate mail and "should" be able to receive it. If the mail would be sent here they would probably receive it. So if its not a problem here, where is the problem?

Thanks for jumping in mike. I was already at the pobox site rereading to see if I could make heads or tails of what the problem could be, its been a little while since I read about it.

Bob, the problem really isn't with GMail. They are just using one of many spam fighting methods to help identify what is legitimate mail.

Well I guess thats debatable :) , Etanisla says its legitmate mail and "should" be able to receive it. If the mail would be sent here they would probably receive it. So if its not a problem here, where is the problem?

The problem really is that SPF is so new. It's a good concept (I'm still debating how people implement it in practice), because it allows a domain to specify "only these machines are allowed to send mail for me". This blocks a lot of the joe-jobs and viruses that get sent out with spoofed addresses.

What we are seeing right now, though, is some hosts are trying to force the maturity of SPF by switching from what most did in the past - only block or mark as spam if an SPF is defined AND the mail came from a non-authorized host, but don't mark as spam if no SPF is defined - to a more restrictive method of marking as spam if it didn't come from an authorized host (which if an SPF is not defined, no hosts are authorized). Some will just give SPF authorized email a lower spam score (so if it looks like spam, and the domain doesn't have SPF defined, it may be high enough to go over the score needed).

Edited by TCH-MikeJ

Yay! Excuse me while I do the happy dance... :)

Rock Sign

So that means I won't have to move my hosting or my email services :dance: They can stay right at TCH where I've been getting great service this whole time.

And when the 60 days are up, I'll just move the domains to TCH because I like getting straight answers anyway! :lol:

I already know the exact string I need, but trying to find out how I can get it done has been... Mad!!!

Thanks much, you just re-validated why I chose and recommend TCH!

Oh, the specific problem that led me on the wild goose chase:

My blog Carelessthought.com will send to etanisla@gmail.com an automatic notification if someone leaves a comment. The blog uses my personal email [something] at etanisla.com as the return address. Because etanisla.com doesn't have an SPF record authorizing carelessthought.com to use etanisla.com's domain name as a return address, Gmail flags it as a possible spoof and disables links in the email, and warns me that it may start flagging it as spam in the near future.

I know, I could just change the admin's email address on the blog and be done with it. But Gmail is rumored to start flagging all non-SPF domains as suspect in the near future. I email with a lot of Gmail receipients and I don't want to be caught short when it happens.

• 1 year later...