Installing Wordpress

Hi. I'm wondering if someone can please help me with this:

Ok, so i'm trying to install wordpress but I dont really know what I'm doing here.

I extracted the WP files into public_html/wordpress and the install instructions on the wp site tell me to edit the wp-config-sample.php and save as wp-config-sample.php ...

><?php
/** WordPress's config file **/
/** http://wordpress.org/   **/

// ** MySQL settings ** //
define('DB_NAME', 'wordpress');     // The name of the database
define('DB_USER', 'username');     // Your MySQL username
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'password'); // ...and password
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');     // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple blogs in a single database.

$table_prefix  = 'wp_';   // example: 'wp_' or 'b2' or 'mylogin_'

// Change this to localize WordPress.  A corresponding MO file for the
// chosen language must be installed to wp-includes/languages.
// For example, install de.mo to wp-includes/languages and set WPLANG to 'de'
// to enable German language support.
define ('WPLANG', '');

/* Stop editing */

$server = DB_HOST;
$loginsql = DB_USER;
$passsql = DB_PASSWORD;
$base = DB_NAME;

define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__).'/');

// Get everything else
require_once(ABSPATH.'wp-settings.php');
?>

I'm not sure what to put for the DB values it wants (because the ones i'm trying dont seem to be working). I've gone into the database panel and created a dp called put_your_domain_wordpress and added a user put_your_domain_username to it. do i type in the "put_your_domain_" part in the php config file as part of the username and db name?

also, the installation instructions say "run the installation file" wp-admin/install.php. to do that, do i just go to the file in filemanager and hit "show file"?

cheers.

First, when you created the database and the user, did you add the user to the database?

Your database name is your cpanellogin_databasename. So if your cpanel login is abcdef and your database is wordpress, your database name is abcdef_wordpress. Same goes for the user name (abcdef_username).

And yes, you would use that full name.

When they say run the installation file, you would go to the URL.. so www.******/wordpress/wp-admin/install.php

HTH

Ok, when you create a database there are a few steps.

Name the database - a single, short word. Your username will be prepended to it, so if you chose "wordpress" it would be cpanelname_wordpress

Create a user, say for example "me", the name of that user will then be cpanelname_me

Make a password for it.

Now, you should see two drop down boxes, choose your new database an da user and cl ick "Add User to Database"

The the details you need are

server: localhost

dbname: cpanelname_wordpress

username: cpanelname_me

password: password

then, you run the file by going to it in your browser (ie: http://www.put_your_domain.com/wordpress/install.php).

Hope that helps!

very much so. thank you both.

it seems to have gone smoothly

but when i try to log in using the username: admin and the password provided at the end of installing, i get:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 123

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 124

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 126

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 127

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 128

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 129

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-config.php:35) in /home/ohmpage/public_html/wordpress/wp-login.php on line 149

Anybody have an idea of what the problem could be?

One of the things I've seen on the support site about this is to open wp-login.php and wp-config.php and make sure there are no blank lines at the very bottom of the file.

Other than that I'm not really sure, as I haven't worked closely with Wordpress. I'm sure someone around here can help though. =)