'www' And Duplicate Content

boxturt

I think the issue is that search engines will see hxxp://www.****** and hxxp://****** as 2 distinct entities, but both showing the same content.

There are 2 things you can do:

1) Modify your .htaccess file to route traffic to one or the other, the most common way of doing this is rewriting non-www urls to www.

2) Specify your canonical URL. Basically if you can retrieve the same content via 2 or more URLs, then you should specify which the search engines should take as being, essentially, the primary URL and therefore ignore the others. Have a read here: googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/02/specify-your-canonical.html

I put a unique test file in my WWW folder only.

I am able to access it with or without the WWW prefix.

So...... what, if anything, does that mean?

On our servers the directory for the sub domain www is just a symlink to public_html by default, so they should serve the same content. The best thing to if you are concerned about duplicate content is what OJB recommended and rewrite non-www urls to www. I personally prefer to do it the other way and rewrite www to non-www urls, either one will work.