Multiple Websites - Noobish Question

seaofbass

Having had a website for several years, I should probably know this conclusively, but I don't, so, I would like to know if, without paying for another domain name, it's possible to have another web address that routes to a different place.

Specifically, I have a website that hosts my short films, showcases some of my professional videography work, and has some of the music I've written and recorded. I was thinking it might be nice to just have a page for the videography stuff, that in no way connects to the short films or the music.

I was wondering if I could have "seaofbassvideography.com" or something and have it route to a page of my site that's unconnected.

My simplest idea was to create a page (I make the site in Iweb and upload it) that doesn't have links to the other pages, that you could only get to by me providing the link, but that wouldn't be perfect as it would still have the base domain name in it, and of course you wouldn't be able to find it unless I gave it to you.

You cannot under TCH Terms & Conditions have different domain names pointing to different content on the same server under a virtual hosting account. If you want to accomplish this you could do one of the following things:

1) Buy separate hosting for each site you wish to host (including buying separate domain names)

2) Upgrade to a reseller account (this way you can have multiple sites and multiple domains - to do this contact the help desk it is made really simple by the tech guys)

3) Use subdomains instead. Have all your videography stuff under: video.seaofbass.com, have music under music.seaofbass.com and films under films.seaofbass.com

You cannot under TCH Terms & Conditions have different domain names pointing to different content on the same server under a virtual hosting account. If you want to accomplish this you could do one of the following things:

1) Buy separate hosting for each site you wish to host (including buying separate domain names)

2) Upgrade to a reseller account (this way you can have multiple sites and multiple domains - to do this contact the help desk it is made really simple by the tech guys)

3) Use subdomains instead. Have all your videography stuff under: video.seaofbass.com, have music under music.seaofbass.com and films under films.seaofbass.com

I'm intrigued by this subdomain thing. . .how does it work? My site is actually joshbass.com. I use seaofbass as an example.

You create a subdomain as Thomas describes above. Once you have created the subdomain it adds a new folder to your public_html folder with the same name you used to create the subdomain. You load your content into that folder. Then you access it with h*ttp://subdomain.yourdomain.ext

Thanks guys.

I make my site in Iweb, and then upload via cyberduck.

So when I publish the site, it publishes to a folder on my computer. Would I then go into this folder, (subdomain will probably be video or videoproduction.joshbass.com) and upload the page (whatever.html) as well as its contents (usually in a folder called, for instance, "video files," if the page name is video) to that subdomain folder inside public html? Is that how it works?

Hi.

Okay, so I got it working, sort of.

when I type: videoproduction.joshbass.com, I get, instead of the videoproduction.html page I created, taken to "index of", and then listed vertically: cgi bin, videoproduction.html, and videoproduction_files.

Is there a way to get typing in/clicking a link to videoproduction.joshbass.com to take me to videoproduction.html instead of this directory structure? Thanks.

Okay wait. . .I think I figured it out. So I went in to redirects and told videoproduction.joshbass.com to redirect to videoproduction.joshbass.com/videoproduction.html. It seems to work. . .entering videoproduction.joshbass.com takes me to that videoproduction.html page now, but is this the best way?

Edited by seaofbass

You are right. . .I guess I was thinking there could only be one "index" and that would be the main page of joshbass.com. But you're saying it's one index per directory. I will try this. I'll have to rename it every time I update/upload from iweb, as, in iweb I already have an index, the home page for joshbass.com.