Email Forwarders

Let me see if I understand Email Forwarders...

If I want to have more than 1 email account for myself, I do not actually need to create multiple addresses, instead I can create 1 main email, and then create Forwards with the other addresses I want and have them forwarded to the main (and only actual email address created).

Am I on target or am I missing something? Still in the learning process folks, so bear with me :)

CC

As I see it, it is a prefered method if you are lets say signing up for a newsletter.

Then you could set up a forwarder called newsletters_name@your_domain.com, have it forward to your "real" account and then if you get anything else but the newsletter on this account (ie spam etc), you just delete the forwarder and no more spam on that forwarding adress.

Only problem with that is that you loose the newsletter too, but on the other hand perhaps you dont want a newsletter from someone who spam/sell your adress. :)

Very true. I did not know about the Forwarding ability and had created multiple accounts, and had to set up all those accounts on Outlook... Understanding forwarders, I will now delete all but one account and have the rest forwarded. Future email client will require only 1 account set up. YAY!

You guys are awesome.

CC

And if you need reply to an email as one of your forwards

say to register on a site then

in your email client on your computer

create a copy of your normal email account.

First export the normal account to a backup folder

then edit it to use the forward address as the return address and save

and then edit the description to show the forward address.

Then import the original account back in.

And don't forget to back up your forwards in cpanel > backup

look for

Download Email Domain Forwarder or Filter Backup

Aliases

click on your domain name below the word Alias

to download a compressed backup

As I see it, it is a prefered method if you are lets say signing up for a newsletter.

Then you could set up a forwarder called newsletters_name@your_domain.com, have it forward to your "real" account and then if you get anything else but the newsletter on this account (ie spam etc), you just delete the forwarder and no more spam on that forwarding adress.

It's not just for newsletters -- I use it for any company that I do business with, forums I register at, news sites that force you to register, personal acquaintances, etc. So I'd give Amazon amazon@fake-domain.tld and you somethingelse@fake-domain.tld, for example.

That also makes filtering easy. Instead of filtering on the From address (which might change), you can filter on the To address.

Only problem with that is that you loose the newsletter too, but on the other hand perhaps you dont want a newsletter from someone who spam/sell your adress. :)

Remember that they may not have sold your address. Maybe they got a virus or Trojan Horse, for example.

And you don't have to lose the newsletter, either. Most sites have a means to change your E-mail address, so just change to the new one, then kill the old one (after any confirmation sent to the old address). If you can't change E-mail addresses, unsubscribe and subscribe with a new address.

In fact, you don't even need forwarders for this. I actually just use a catch-all and only create forwarders for addresses that start getting spam. That way I don't need to actually do anything to give somebody a unique E-mail address.

The biggest downside with my system is if some low-life spammer spoofs your domain to send spam with random E-mail addresses. I had that happen on one of my domains and had to turn the catch-all off. Fortunately, that wasn't the domain that I do most of my E-mailing from, so I didn't have to go in and create a bunch of forwarders for them.

However, on my main domain, I probably don't get 10 spams per week with this system. Sometimes I see a spate of spam, and that's when I create forwarders to bounce them.

Steve

And if you need reply to an email as one of your forwards

say to register on a site then

in your email client on your computer

create a copy of your normal email account.

First export the normal account to a backup folder

then edit it to use the forward address as the return address and save

and then edit the description to show the forward address.

Then import the original account back in.

I use Eudora as my E-mail client, so I just create a Temp personality which never checks E-mail. When I want to send E-mail out or respond to as one of my aliases, I just put that E-mail address in the Temp personality and then switch my From address' personality to Temp.

Steve

I ment the same thing as you did Steve. I just took an example with the newsletter. :)

I assumed that you did, but maybe the original poster wouldn't have gotten that. Besides, it gave me a good segue into discussing To filtering and saying that forwarders weren't really necessary with the catch-all. ;)

The catch-all approach is nice because, even if somebody mistypes your E-mail address, you'll still get the mail. It might not get routed to the right folder if you use To filtering, but you'll get it.

You'll also likely get more spam, but it hasn't been bad on most of my domains as I mentioned previously.

Steve