Timestamp In Rss Feed

John Carney

I am running two WordPress blogs on my TCH account (one is in a subdomain). My main blog is listed with a Middle Tennessee-centric blog aggregator called "Nashville Is Talking," but I've noticed that it takes many hours or more for my posts to show up there, while other blogs with which I'm familiar have their new posts pop up right away.

To make a long story short, I discovered that this is because the aggregator has a feature which does not add posts to the page until the current time matches the time specified in the syndication feed's timestamp. (This is to prevent someone from intentionally post-dating their posts as an attempt to artificially keep them at the top of the page.)

The trouble is that, apparently, the post times in my syndication feed are UTC. I am not experienced with PHP, but I've tried looking at the wp-rss and wp-rss2 files in my WordPress setup. I even tried changing " +0000 " to " -0500 " in one of them and it didn't do anything. (I have changed everything back, and even went so far as to re-upload the original files in case I had made a mistake.)

Has anyone else had this problem?

I have several WP blogs and never experienced this. On the General Options page you will see the UTC time of the server your blog is hosted on. You can change the time by adjusting the "Times in the weblog should differ by:" field.

I've done that -- and the times displayed in the blog itself are correct. But that setting apparently has nothing to do with the syndication feed.

You are correct. I just checked my RSS feeds and they are all the UTC time and not my post times.

I've never really thought about it. But the UTC time is the same as the post time. I'm -4 hours UTC. My post was made at 17:30, and the RSS feed is 21:30 UTC which is the same time.