Ms Access To Mysql

black cat

It would almost be easier to use the "create dump file" option, gzip that (using 7zip or another zip program that does ".gz" extensions (not sure if Winzip does or not haven't used it in years)), and then in cpanel you can restore a mysql db in the "backup" section, just select the gzip file you created and click upload.

While I personally have not tried it, I usually take to heart the old saying "...if it's too good to be true, it usually is." Having said that, if you try this app, post something back here and let everyone know how it works out!

Steve and black cat, guys, I think you're asking and replying to different things. I believe black cat was referring to MySQL when he (she? argh! the internet communication's biggest problem :)) asked if it is as good as it sounds and Steve I think you replied about the BullZIP.com application, right?

Well, I don't know about the BullZIP.com stuff but I know about MySQL and it's a great database engine but it is not the same thing as MS Access. MS Access is more than a database engine, it is a database user interface, which allows you to do lots of stuff, including using other database engines. For instance, you can <a href="http://www.nusphere.com/products/library/devshed_mysql_odbc.htm">configure MS Access to use a MySQL database</a>, if you want. That gives you the power of MySQL and all the ease of use + functionalities of MS Access.

You're right Raul. Of course, my personal take on this is...Access is made by who? Enough said right there.

Blackcat...I think you'll be happier with MySQL instead of Access. There are many resources available out there to help you understand it.

You're right Raul. Of course, my personal take on this is...Access is made by who? Enough said right there.

LOL ;)

You have a point there, Steve :)

I must be out of my mind to talk about MS Access and not mention OpenOffice.org 2.0 - it has a new database application called Base, which can use a lot of different standard database backends, including MySQL.

Edited by borfast

Thanks for the replys everyone!

I am all for switching to MySQL. My client has an Access database that I want to convert.

In the conversion tool from BullZip there is a field to enter the host address where the MySQL database will reside. Does anyone know what the path would be? Also, the port number??

Thanks much for any tips or tutorials you can point me to.