Mismatched Time Zones

editor

I have a perl script that records member logins on my Web site. Here's part of the code:

_____

open(FILE, ">>$log_file");

{($sec,$min,$hour,$day,$month) = localtime();

$month++;

if ($hour < 10)

{ $hour = "0$hour"; }

if ($min < 10)

{ $min = "0$min"; }

}

if ($password ne "xxxx") {

print FILE "$month/$day $hour:$min $password $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}\n";

close(FILE);

_____

The problem is that the time printed to the log file for each login is one hour ahead of the time where I live. Presumably, localtime() on the server where my Web site resides (Server 24) is Eastern Time, whereas I live in the Central Time zone. What changes could I make to the script so that the time it prints to the log file matches my own time zone?

Try this code out and see if it works for you:

>use DateTime;
open(FILE, ">>$log_file");
my $dt = DateTime->now(time_zone => 'America/Chicago');
if ($password ne "xxxx") {
print FILE $dt->strftime("%m/%d %H:%M") . " $password $ENV{'REMOTE_ADDR'}\n";
close(FILE);

I appreciate the help. However, the modified script generates a "Premature end of script headers" error.

Silly me! I tested the code on my local PC, where it worked fine, and I thought it would work just as well on the TCH server without further testing.

I had to have the Help Desk install the DateTime and DateTime::TimeZone modules on my server before the code would work correctly. Submit a ticket to the Help Desk and ask them to install the DateTime and DateTime::TimeZone perl modules on your server, then try your script again.

Submit a ticket to the Help Desk and ask them to install the DateTime and DateTime::TimeZone perl modules on your server, then try your script again.

I submitted the ticket, the modules were installed swiftly, and the script now works beautifully! :clapping:

Thanks again for all your help!