Mysql Showing Columns W/ Content

D.Slatk

Okay I have been stumped on this one for a while. Some of my columns for this one table have content, and some do not. Is there a simple query you can use to tell this? Something where I can enter the constraints I need, and based off the normal result returned for that, show which columns are not set as null?

Basically I want something to "select" everything like this:

>SELECT cell_tile FROM cells WHERE cell_x_id >= 0 AND cell_y_id >= 0 AND cell_x_id <= 24 AND cell_y_id <= 24

And with that query I want to be able to get which columns from the rows returned had information in them, hopefully the column names being different rows? :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for offering but I found out I didn't need to do it that way anyways! But I do have another question... say I have a table with one column and 40 rows with the letter "t" in them. But, I want to set each row to either "t1", "t2", "t3", or "t4" - is there any way to do this with a mysql query? It would be nice if there were a mysql function to generate random integers, but I only see one for decimals. :\ Otherwise I could just use something like UDATE table SET column = concat('t',rand(1,4)).

... say I have a table with one column and 40 rows with the letter "t" in them. But, I want to set each row to either "t1", "t2", "t3", or "t4" - is there any way to do this with a mysql query? It would be nice if there were a mysql function to generate random integers, but I only see one for decimals. :\ Otherwise I could just use something like UDATE table SET column = concat('t',rand(1,4)).

There is not a single MySQL function that does what you want, but you can use a combination of functions. Instead of concat('t',rand(1,4)), you might try this instead: :huh:

>concat('t', truncate(4*rand()+1,0))

(sorry for the slow reply) Thanks david for that code! It worked excellently!