Question About Excluding Ips

Hi. Thanks to this forum, I see how to use skiphosts to exclude my own IP:

# to exclude your own IP address 123.123.123.123, use SkipHosts="123.123.123.123"

That's no problem, but since my IP does change occasionally, would the code below exclude any other IPs I might be assigned?

# to exclude the whole subnet 123.123.123.xxx, use SkipHosts="REGEX[^123\.123\.123\.]"

Basically, what am I excluding if I exclude the whole subnet? Does that filter out everyone with the same ISP?

Thanks in advance!

You are excluding 255 IP addresses by doing that. Depending on how many the ISP has you could be.

Thank you, Bruce. You mean I would be excluding 255 addresses (as in number of), or IPs that start with 255? Sorry, I am unclear about this stuff.

No, using your example, you would be excluding for example 123.123.123.0, 123.123.123.1, 123.123.123.2, etc. through 123.123.123.255 so 256 IP addresses in total. Or to put it another way all IP addresses starting with 123.123.123.

You mean I would be excluding 255 addresses (as in number of),

Yes, thats what Bruce means. ISP's will be assigned "blocks" of IP's that run in a series, using your example 123.123.123.0 - 123.123.123.255 . You could be assigned any one of those IP's in that range.

No, using your example, you would be excluding for example 123.123.123.0, 123.123.123.1, 123.123.123.2, etc. through 123.123.123.255 so 256 IP addresses in total. Or to put it another way all IP addresses starting with 123.123.123.

Yes, thats what Bruce means. ISP's will be assigned "blocks" of IP's that run in a series, using your example 123.123.123.0 - 123.123.123.255 . You could be assigned any one of those IP's in that range.

Okay, thanks. So is it likely that the 256 IPs would be individuals in my geographic area using the same ISP that I do?

would be individuals in my geographic area using the same ISP that I do?

Possibly but not positively. Sometimes ISP's do not get all the IP's in a range and they don't always assign them to a specific geographic area. If its a large ISP they could be spread all over the place, or IP's right next to one another could be assigned to different ISP's on different sides of the country.

[waves to Bruce from the Marriott on Key West]

Edited by Madmanmcp

Possibly but not positively. Sometimes ISP's do not get all the IP's in a range and they don't always assign them to a specific geographic area. If its a large ISP they could be spread all over the place, or IP's right next to one another could be assigned to different ISP's on different sides of the country.

[waves to Bruce from the Marriott on Key West]

Okay, good to know. Thanks so much to both of you!

You on vacation? Lucky dog!

Last day actually, will be heading back to Maryland in about 30 minutes. It was a driving Vacation and we plan on 3 days to get home since I need to be at work at 6AM Sunday. It was a very nice trip, saw my wife's Mom in Deltona on Mothers day. Was at my Dads house in Merritt Island for the Shuttle Launch and a trip to Disney over in Orlando. Spent the last two days walking Old Town here. The trip has been great so far but I see nothing but rain in the forcast from here on.