Sign in to follow this  
kajoiner

Where Is Yahoo?

I have a question I am hoping someone can help answer. I have taken over our Boy Scout Troop website and changed the name the domain from www.troop98.columbusga.net to www.bsatroop98.org. I did this to make it easier to find and remember, and because I moved it from a free site to TCH Rock Sign .

I can understand why the old site still shows higher in the search engines than the new one since it was there for two years before I took it over. It is still there as a redirect site. What I cannot understand is why the new site does not show at all in a yahoo search. Because the old site still shows and old site was linked from many other sites and I have been able to get them to change to the new domain, chances are you will get there if you are looking, but why is Yahoo not finding the site. It has been up and running for a couple of months and all of the other top search sites are crawling it, except for Yahoo. I have not seen a single crawl from Yahoo!

I was even able to get Yahoo to change to the new domain in thier listings under regional groups (not sure how to refer to it, but if you just did a search by clicking on the catagories from the home page instead of doing a search).

What's up?

By the Time Somebody gets you and Exact answer, Check these sites, they have been here, Just a Reminder for these Helpful Bookmarks.

Site1

Site2

One possibility is that Yahoo may be seeing it as a non-page. This could be either as a doorway page or just a useless page. No, I'm not saying your site is useless, but take a look at what Yahoo sees when it hits the site:

><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
  <META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="This is the Home Page of Boy Scout Troop 98 in Columbus, Georgia.  Includes information about our programs, trips & outings, Eagles, troop members and more!">
  <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="BSA, Boy Scout, Troop, 98, Scouting, camping, hiking, cycling, Merit Badges, Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, Eagle, Cub Scout, Webelos, Cub Pack, Pack, Explorer, Exploring">
  <META NAME="REVISIT-AFTER" CONTENT="30 days">
  <TITLE>Boy Scout Troop 98 Columbus, GA Homepage</TITLE>

</HEAD>
<FRAMESET cols="19%,81%">
<FRAME SRC="menu.htm" FRAME NAME="menu" BORDER=NO scrolling="auto" target="intro">
<FRAME SRC="home.htm" FRAME NAME="intro" BORDER=NO SCROLL=NO scrolling="auto" target="_self">
<noframes>
<BODY>

</BODY>
</noframes>
</FRAMESET>

</HTML>

Othere than the meta tags there is no content. This is one of the reasons SEO folks warn that it's quite the challenge to have a frames site do well.

In addition, if Yahoo saw the page at the other site it may consider this one as a duplicate site and not bother to list it.

What you need to do, if you can, is to put up a 301 - permanent redirect page at the old site telling the SE's and everyone else that "it ain't thare no more".

Hope it helps!