File Management

Darwinlady

Hello! I'm apologizing in advance for what might seem like a very elementary line of questioning; I'm a bit new to this, and I'm not sure if my questions will be answered once I start playing with CPanel. (Or, perhaps, once I download an FTP utility, like SmartFTP-- is this recommended, even though TCH provides a file manager?) I've been perusing these forums for a while now and am about ready to take the plunge and sign up for a package. I've been setting up my first site with an HTML editor. My main question involves how to name and link between my files: each page on the site contains thumbnails that will link to expanded pictures, (html files,) each with a button linking back to the previous page. When creating these image maps, I am given 2 choices for the URL: local file (which is only a path to the local file on my computer, which I know won't work;) or Web URL. For each link back to the page itself or the sub-page with full-sized pictures, can I assign its exact URL now (www.mydomain/page1... or www.mydomain/page1/albumpage1...) so all my links are complete, and then assume those exact URLs can be assigned to the files once I'm online? Or, since I've created the entire site in a folder with a series of subfolders, that I'm hoping I can just upload with the same structure, is there a way of creating those links just to files within that folder, which will remain the same once they are uploaded?

Again, I apologize if these will become apparent once I get further along; I'm transfering from another host (that had a lame site builder built in,) redesigning everything from scratch, and I want to prepare as much in advance so the down-time is minimal. Thank you!

Darwinlady

Try using root relatiive url's (oh my terminology stinks, forgive me.)

example:

><a href="/images/nameofimage.jpg">

Thi will tell it to look for the image starting from the root folder (the first / says that) then move on to images (/images) and upward to the image itself (/nameofimage.jpg). This can be more or less complicated depending on your directory structure, but start from the /.

The slash relates, more directly, to the part after the http*//www.****/. That bolded slash is what the first slash in my example link corresponds to.

Hope that helps... :P

Look forward to welcoming you to the family!

Yeah, what Lisa said.

You want to avoid "absolute linking" (what you are doing both with the local and URL linking you mentioned), and just use the type shown by Lisa.

When you do this, you will still be able to test on your local system, and just directly upload the site without concern. Using absolute links will either work on your local machine during tests, and have to be changed before you upload. Or they will not work locally for testing (nor will the images appearing correctly), but will work once uploaded.

Regarding the FTP program, I use SmartFTP for my site here as well. One of the things I like about it, over some of the othes, is that it allows you to upload entire folders at once, as well as delete entire folders at once. Others require that the dolder ("directory") be empty before you are allowed to delete that folder. Also, it has a strong resume feature for interrupted transfers. I had to restart one for my site nearly 10 times and it ended up finishing without corrupting the file... and that was even after restarting the machine!

I, too, look forward to welcoming you in the Introductions forum!

Thank you both for your help. That did make sense, and I tried it with a single page and image file, but it didn't work. The code seems to read correctly, but when I click the link it tries to follow an incorrect path: "C:\Images\picturename.html" and can't find the correct image, since the computer is assuming the root folder is my hard drive (instead of the website folder.)

Is there something else I should be doing to use these root-relative URL's, or is my computer just not recognizing that that's what I'm trying to do?

Thank you again!

What operating system are you using?

I think that this as well as the version of your browser will make a difference (if memory serves me correctly).

As long as you pay attention to your structure, you should be OK on the web. This is even if you cannot see the items on your local machine.

If you are running Windows 98SE or above, and Internet Explorer 6 or 6SP1, then you should be able to run the links properly. Otherwise, you may need to install something like Personal Web Server (it is an option that you can download from Micro$oft at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;306898).

Let us know if we can hjelp any further