Wireless Questions

natimage

OK...I'm once again embarking on something that I know next to nothing about!!

I am now the proud owner of high-speed cable internet service! And I must say I've been quite pleased so far! Only one problem... I did not have a cable outlet where I wanted to set-up my computer, so the cable-guy left the cable line running across the living room (at my request) until I can go wireless. Which brings me to my questions:

1. First and foremost - if I set up to have a wireless cable connection here in my home, is it going to slow down my internet speed?

2. Can someone recommend hardware to be used?? My laptop is already set to use wireless connections, but my PC is not. PC is less than a year old, but was custom built and neither of us thought of putting in a wireless card.

3. How hard is it going to be for me to ensure security of this wireless, home network for my PC and laptop??

Thanks for any help!!

1.  First and foremost - if I set up to have a wireless cable connection here in my home, is it going to slow down my internet speed?
No

2.  Can someone recommend hardware to be used??  My laptop is already set to use wireless connections, but my PC is not.  PC is less than a year old, but was custom built and neither of us thought of putting in a wireless card.

A good wireles router(you knew that already) :( Anyway, I prefer Netgear.

There is no need to take apart the PC, just use a Wireless USB adapter.

3.  How hard is it going to be for me to ensure security of this wireless, home network for my PC and laptop??

It depends on the router you choose and the what OS you have. I don't think you will have any problems though, it is really simple.

Edited by TCH-Dick

Thanks for the info!

just use a Wireless USB adapter

I had wondered about this, but I believe I have reached my limit of USB devices on this computer. So, I'm probably more comfortable installing the card than purchasing something to expand my USB capabilities. I'll keep it in mind though!!!

Someone else had mentioned Netgear...I believe it was the sales associate at Frye's Electronics. If I buy the card and router there, it will cost me right at $200. I'm pretty sure I can get the same stuff at MWAVE.com for quite a bit less...I just have to be sure I know enough about the equipment to buy the right thing.

That's the only thing I hate about online shopping...no sales associate to ask questions to!! :(

Here's a link to a package deal that I've looked at. If anyone has a minute to look it over and give me their opinion, that'd be great! I want to be happy with what I get. I'm not paying $50 some dollars a month for cable internet only to mess up my great connection because I don't know anything about routers and such!!

So...anyone who has time...lay it on me! :(

Edited by natimage

Hi Tracy, there are lots of good Wireless companies and I found it mostly comes down to whats cheapest at the time you are buying. D-Link, Syslink, Netgear, Belkin all work about the same.

Speed of your Internet will not be an issue, the slowest wireless will be 11Mbps and cable speed never comes close to this speed.

If you are running out of USB ports get an Internal PCI wireless card. And be prepared to get a PCMCIA card for the laptop, the built in wireless doesn't always work with the systems you purchase.

Security, depending on your OS you may end up more secure than you are without. The wireless routers normally come with what is called "NAT" which acts as a firewall and protects you from the outside world.

Ok, what you are looking at is a 802.11g router. Is it compatible with the wireless protocol in your laptop? And as Bruce pointed out you will still need to look at a card for your Desktop.

There are currently 3 standards for wireless connections, all start 802. and end with either 11a, 11b, or 11g with g being the newest. Now 11a is not compatible with 11b and 11g is sometimes compatible with one of the other 2 (11b I believe) so when you are looking you need to know what you have in the laptop if you are going to use the built-in wireless.

Madman, what she is looking at comes with a PCMCIA wireless card she can use in the laptop if the built-in wireless doesn't work

Yes I saw that and wasn't completely clear about it. I think she wants to save money and not have to buy both cards. The price for the kit includes the PCMCIA card which she may not need or want.

Yes I saw that and wasn't completely clear about it. I think she wants to save money and not have to buy both cards. The price for the kit includes the PCMCIA card which she may not need or want.

I figured that's what you were saying but wanted her to be clear that the PCMCIA card would work in the laptop.

Ok...how do I look at the specs for the card and know whether it will work for my desktop PC? I don't see a reference to PCMCIA in the details for my link, so I guess I'm a little lost on that. Sorry.

Just to clarify what my goal is...

1. I'd like to use the built-in wireless card that came with my laptop if at all possible. I will look up specs on it to see what it's compatible with.

2. Definately need a wireless card for the desktop PC.

Thanks again for all the help!! Thanks, Bruce, for the recommendation. I will keep that in mind!

Alls you need to matchup are the wireless specs in the Laptop and the router and the desktop card. When you put the card in the desktop that will be the specs for the desktop :).

If the Laptop uses 802.11a for its wireless connection you need to look for a 802.11a router and PCI card for instance.

The card that came with the mwave was a PCMCIA card and that is not what you want. You want a PCI card.

PCI = Desktop card

PCMCIA = Laptop card

This versatile PC card works with either wireless standard, 802.11b or 802.11g, to keep you connected today and tomorrow. Put it in your notebook PC and no matter where you are,

Yes I see where this could be confusing, it was written by advertising writers who are not aware of computers.

When "I" see and use the term "PC", "I" think DESKTOP, not a Notebook or Laptop. When you look at network cards most say "PC card" for the Desktop and "Notebook card" for the Notebook. So I see how you are confused about this ad.

Being a Network guy, I looked at the picture and "I" see a Notebook card, you can tell the difference by looking at them. :( BUT I would not put it past the ad folks of putting the wrong card in the picture either! :)

I use a Linksys wireless access point/router, 2 D-Link USB wireless adapters for my desktops, and a Netgear PCMCIA card for my laptop. Everything works great together - no problems. I have had problems in the past with laptops using built-in 802.11 adapters, especially range issues. I think newer laptops do a better job there.

Most (read almost all) 802.11g routers will be compatible with 802.11b devices. I think that is a standards requirement. 802.11a shouldn't be a problem, as I don't remember seeing any of them on a store shelf ever....

ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY get a router with an ethernet switch built in, coz if you are configuring your router over wireless and you screw something up and disable the wireless, you'll need the hard wired connection to get back in. (Not to scare you or anything, but it is possible to do that).

I have used Linksys routers at home for the past couple of years, and haven't had any problems.

Kevan

Thanks for all the help. I will post the specs from my built-in laptop card later for opinions. I glanced at it the other day and it doesn't fit any of the descriptions mentioned here so far.