Anchor Attribute Will Be Deprecated

section31

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_a.asp

if you scroll down you see this description under the <a "name"> attribute.

In future versions of XHTML the name attribute will be replaced by the id attribute!!

I use those anchors just like these forums do to point to a particular section of the site. ex. <a name="#thread31">

The above says it will be replaced by the id attribute, how would i got about using the id attribute to do the same...I thought the id attribute was use like classes on CSS.

I believe it would be something like

><a id="anchor" href="/forums/articles/79.php" title="go to article 79">go to article 79</a>

but I haven't read the specs. I'm not sure how many browsers would recognize that at the moment, either.

note: I am guessing, and may be completely wrong. :dance:

note, you can read more about this in the official proposals which do not yet utilize id's for anchors :(

Edited by TCH-Lisa

interesting....  I was too lazy to try that out...  I just did now and you are absolutely correct..  That means all my existing id's i'm currently using can be anchors...holy crap  :goof:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

Yes, but I believe that's been the case for awhile. You should be able to use any ID location as a destination for a link on any modern browser (I even checked IE 5.2 and it works).

So <a id="blah">, or an ID in other tags as well, should work as a link destination.

w3c.org has some more info here.