New Happy Customer

Hi everyone,

I started servicewith TCH over the weekend and am very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. We signed up and were online in one day! When we had a self-inflicted problem in some html coding, we posted a question on the message board and thanks to people's help were able to fix the problem within an hour. The website loads lightning quick on every computer I have tried it on. TCH truly does rock! :lol:

Franklin

www.franklinmoore.com

• 2 months later...

<<I started servicewith TCH over the weekend and am very pleased with how easy it was to set-up. We signed up and were online in one day!>>

I wish I could say the same: I enrolled last week, bringing my domain name, pelicanlife.org ... and received an e-mail response with a rediculous account name and a password. The support people were very helpful in changing the password. I asked about when the account would be active but no date given. Someone called on Friday to verify the account, left a message saying she would call back on Monday, yesterday, but didn't ... and that's the extent.

I'll wait another day and then cancel and find another host — reluctantly, because this seems like a good hosting company ... with certainly attractive/interesting support boards, but I am getting anxious to get my site up — and there's a lot of work for me to continue to do on that without worrying about when/if it'll be available. :rolleyes:

Betsy

brcramer...

If I were you I would contact your registrar and change the dns servers to point to TCH you now have it listed

"Name Server:NS1.INTUITIVEENGINEERING.COM

Name Server:NS2.INTUITIVEENGINEERING.COM...that is unless you are going to go elsewhere....as TCH Mike says... go ahead and use the info in your welcome email, but remember it can take up to 72 hours for name propragation...Whatever way you go...good luck with your site :rolleyes:

youneveknow

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don't know how to request the registrar to "point" my domain name to TCH. I thought it was done automatically when I enrolled in TCH. From the FAQ which I read when I enrolled last Thursday:

<<I have been notified that my account has been set up but my site is still not active.

If you have received a notification e-mail and it's been over 48 hours, it means either that you did not point your domain name to the right DNS servers, or that your ISP's DNS server has not yet been updated. It generally takes 24 hours for domain names to become active. This is just how the Internet works; there is no way we can speed up the process.

What DNS should my domain name point to?

Your welcome e-mail will detail which of our DNS servers you should point your URL to. However, all virtual hosting accounts point to:

NS1.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM

NS2.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM>>

Interesting that the account is already "active" - I was under the impression that a completed phone call was required for verification.

...I just looked at the "welcome" e-mail again and see it says I MUST visit (my) registrar and update the DNS pointers (whatever they are!) A friend suggested the Intuitive Engineering registration and he's now out of town. Oh, well.....

Betsy

(sunny, too, in Santa Barbara)

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don't know how to request the registrar to "point" my domain name to TCH. I thought it was done automatically when I enrolled in TCH. From the FAQ which I read when I enrolled last Thursday:

<<I have been notified that my account has been set up but my site is still not active.

If you have received a notification e-mail and it's been over 48 hours, it means either that you did not point your domain name to the right DNS servers, or that your ISP's DNS server has not yet been updated. It generally takes 24 hours for domain names to become active. This is just how the Internet works; there is no way we can speed up the process.

What DNS should my domain name point to?

Your welcome e-mail will detail which of our DNS servers you should point your URL to. However, all virtual hosting accounts point to:

NS1.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM

NS2.TOTALCHOICEHOSTING.COM>>

Interesting that the account is already "active" - I was under the impression that a completed phone call was required for verification.

...I just looked at the "welcome" e-mail again and see it says I MUST visit (my) registrar and update the DNS pointers (whatever they are!) A friend suggested the Intuitive Engineering registration and he's now out of town. Oh, well.....

Betsy

(sunny, too, in Santa Barbara)

DNS pointers tell the world when they type in your domain name that the files associated with your web site are either here or there. The registrar of your domain name needs to have the most current hosting informatiion to direct surfers to those files. I guess you will have to wait until your friend returns to help you with that. Until then all requests to your web will return an error if there are no files to "see"

Don't get discouraged...we all learn more each time we work on our sites...

youneverknow

DNS pointers tell the world when they type in your domain name that the files associated with your web site are either here or there. The registrar of your domain name needs to have the most current hosting informatiion to direct surfers to those files. I guess you will have to wait until your friend returns to help you with that. Until then all requests to your web will return an error if there are no files to "see"

Don't get discouraged...we all learn more each time we work on our sites...

youneverknow

Thanks, youneverknow. Unfortunately, my friend is not returning until the end of August. ...I've already put in a lot of time designing the site, including having an up-to-date News section - and to say the least it is discouraging to think that I won't be able to upload it. ...I suppose I could choose/pay for another name but I like that one for this particular site which is about pelicans.

I looked into domain name transfer but for some reason TCH won't transfer a name that is less than 60 days old and I registered pelicanlife.org on June 23. Discouraged, indeed!

Betsy

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I don't know how to request the registrar to "point" my domain name to TCH.

I think you need to go to intuitiveisp.com. They are the hosting/registration arm of Intuitive Engineering. (I found that out by checking out the Intuitive Engineering website) There you can log in and manage your account. This is from the FAQ section of Intuitive's website:

How do I enter the name servers of the hosting account I have with another provider?

Follow the directions below to enter the name server information:

* Select "Manage My Account" from the program menu.

* Click “Domain Names.”

* Select the domain name(s) for which you wish to enter the name server information

* Click "Modify Name Servers."

* Enter the name servers.

If all else fails send email to help@intuitiveisp.com

Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it is to not know how to do something. The welcome letter makes it sound easy ("point your DNS servers to TCH"), but if you've never done it before it could seem overwhelming.

Good luck!

VI

I looked into domain name transfer but for some reason TCH won't transfer a name that is less than 60 days old and I registered pelicanlife.org on June 23. Discouraged, indeed!

Betsy

The 60 days is not a TCH policy, no registrar will allow a domain transfer for 60 days after its registered...or 60 days after its renewed.

youneverknow nailed it, you should be able to set your DNS info by following those instructions.

Thank you.

Thanks to your help, I just went to http://www.intuitiveisp.com/howto-transferdomain.php --- and found the instructions about how to transfer a name. It says it will take "a minimum of 7 days" to effect a transfer ... and I had really hoped to have my site up before that!

If I do decide to stay with TCH (and that is very doubtful at this point - it seems to me to make more sense to just have the intuitiveisp host it - my only contact there was registering the name) how do I find out who the administrative contact here is?

I think TCH should make it MUCH clearer how to transfer a name and that it will take at least a week to do the transfer. (I also think they should make it MUCH clearer about how to upload a site. I checked through the instructions and tried to upload a file, index.html via FileManager in the cPanel - to the site I've been given with just numbers - and so far as I can tell, that didn't work.)

Betsy

Although this looks as though it is for a transfer to ISP, I suppose the process is the same?

The transfer process entails the following steps:

<<# 1. Advise your administrative contact that the domain name is being transferred.

# 2. IntuitiveISP will email your administrative contact by the next business day to

request their approval of the transfer.

# 3. When this acceptance is received, we will send a transfer request to the registry.

# 4. The registry will email your current registrar.

# 5. Most likely, your current registrar will send you an email asking for your approval

of the transfer to IntuitiveISP. Please respond as directed.

# 6. Your current registrar will email an acceptance or rejection notice to the registry.

# 7. The registry will email IntuitiveISP a notice of the acceptance or rejection.

# 8. IntuitiveISP will send you an email informing you that the transfer is complete.

If the transfer has failed, your email will inform you that it failed.>>

Betsy, that is to transfer the domain. You could leave the domain hosted with Intuitive and just point its nameservers to TCH. That is what I've done (although I use NetworkSolutions for my domains... long, long habit.) Then its 24-72 hours for the change to be seen across the 'net. Should be much easier and you can probably do it without their intervention.

As far as it taking a week to transfer that is somewhat out of TCH's hands and in the hands of whomever is hosting the domain name, so TCH really can't say how long it will take. I know I used some hosts in Australia that would take up to 60 days to do those transfers... thankfully I don't use those anymore. :rolleyes:

As far as uploading a site - there are so many ways to do that. There are some tutorials. You might be using Dreamweaver or Frontpage or another program that lets you do it automatically, or you might use something else then ftp or use file manager. Here are some tutorials that might help you get started, and you can always ask for help on the forums if you sign up.

Thank you, Lisa. Yours was very helpful. I was prepared to move on but all the positive statements about TCH and especially that there seem to be Mac users here, made me pause - and then yours, that I could leave the name there without waiting for the transfer convinced me to try. (I wish I understood what "point" the "DNS servers" means. :)

I've just written to help@intuitiveisp.com, as VI suggested - I hope that gets to the registrar - asking for the name to be pointed.

As for the uploading, I've done the site, that is, I am working on the site in Dreamweaver MX. I thought from something I read on one of the forums, somewhere, that if I went to File Manager in cPanel, I could upload from there - but that didn't seem to work. Thank you for the link to the tutorials. Hopefully, between now and the time the name is "pointed" uploading will become clearer.

Betsy

I'm a Mac user *grins* Recently, but nonetheless... new powerbook. Ok, I'm also done bragging, pardon me.

You can upload right from Dreamweaver, to synchronize the site - one of its benefits! Look here for the Dreamweaver tutorial - check the bottom link for more in-depth instructions.

and remember, you can publish while you wait for the domain to be pointed, just need to use the alternate URL and bear in mind relative paths won't work for images, so use site roots (that's the term I believe that dreamweaver users, but I haven't used it in years...). I'm sorry if that confused you, it confused me when someone first mentioned it years ago when I started dealing with websites. =)

There is also an entire forum for Dreamweaver here, it's near the bottom of the forum listings.

Hurrah! The name transferred, well, the DNS servers pointed (I could have transferred, it turned out) ... but now what do I do?

I could not find specific info on the other forums so I am back here. I saw the instructions for ftp:

<<How to upload your files

Follow the instructions below to learn how to upload your file.

Start your FTP client and click the connect button.

Enter ftp.yoursite.com as the server name.

Use the user name/password provided in your TCH welcome e-mail

Connect and then go to the public_html directory on your web site

Delete or replace the file called index.html

Upload your index.html file and any other files you need to upload.

Disconnect and close the FTP client.

Point your browser to http://www.yoursite.com and view your new home page>>

But Dreamweaver has

FTP Host

Host directory

Login

Password

I tried various combinations, assuming the Login was the name given to me and the Password was the one given. (Host directory I put totalchoicehosting.com and Host Directory - I didn't know - I tried public.html.)

It would be really helpful if there were some place here to give step by step uploading instructions for each of the major web design software. I'd also really like to know how to set up an e-mail account that will run from the web site rather than having to list my e-mail address on the site pages. Could someone point me to where I would find info on that?

thanks very much,

Betsy

Sorry for all these questions: here's another: Also when I went to the site, pelicanlife.org, I saw 6 categories but no public.html on the web site.

Thank you! The connection was made - is made --- but what are all those folders _private, _vti, etc. ...? should they stay there?

I moved my images folder into the images folder already there and am moving the others with my fingers crossed. <g> at least figuratively.

betsy

what are all those folders _private, _vti, etc. ...? should they stay there?

Those folders are for Front Page extensions, if you dont use front page you can log into cpanel and uninstall the extensions and that will remove the folders