Subdomains

lghay

Do subdomains require purchasing a new domain name?

If so, do I understand correctly that the primary reason for this additional expense is that there is an additional URL which can be submitted to search engines with more specific details about that particular page(s)?

Thanks for your help!

Lets see if I can beat Bruce to this. If you have a domain name you do not need to purchase another domain name to make use of the subdomain feature. I use them to make things easier for my visitors versus any SEO possibilities of which I see none.

For example it is easier to type support.**** than it is to type ****/module.php?blah=something&another=354&5=564=1=654&pq0

Edited by TCH-Rob

In response to your specific question;

If so, do I understand correctly that the primary reason for this additional expense is that there is an additional URL which can be submitted to search engines with more specific details about that particular page(s)?

No, there is no advantage in this. A seperate URL pointing to a page in a subfolder of your main domain will gain nothing for search engine placement. A search engine spider will follow all links on your site so a link from your home page is fine.

Want good rankings on each page? Optimize them independantly, dont spend money on more names.

As far as how does it make it easier on my visitors, see my example in my post above.

lghay,

A Domain name comes with the ability to host unlimited subdomains 'you.thatdomain.com'

Per the Acceptable use Policy, and Terms of service, you may NOT however point a top-level-domain to that subdomain, basicly you can do:

http://something.******/ and point it to a place on your account.

You may NOT however point a http://your-name-here.com to a http://you.your-name-here.com.

Does that clear things up for you? :)

Edit::-:>

Rob is just too fast of a typer. LoL!

Edited by Alan

Thanks, everyone!

I just got the meaning of SEO (search engine optimization, right?)

I'm just catching on to the lingo.

Still not straight on what the subdomain does accomplish. Guess I'll put the idea to the side for now!

subdomains are great for breaking up your web site in to smaller more managable sections.

Say you have your main site information (pretend you are selling a product, if you are not for this example). So when people come to your site they enter http://yoursite.com

Now say you offer demos or other downloads. You could create a subdomain for easier access demos.yoursite.com

And then you offer documentation or literature and you create a subdomain for that lit.yoursite.com

That's just an example of how you could break up your site to make it more managble. You could also just create the folders to put your content in and access it using http://yoursite.com/demos

Does that help?

Edited by TCH-Bruce

Hi,

I'm in the process of trying to get a refund from a web hoster that I made the mistake of signing up with so I can possibly choose Total Choice. I'm impressed so far with this bulletin board, and you look like a REAL company!! My question is about subdomains. I understand that the 2nd domain is just a subdirectory of the main domain. I understand that search engines have a problem with them. Also, I currently have a subdomain and I notice that the title of the webpages only shows the url - not the actual title. Is this going to be the case or is there a way around this? I don't need much space so don't need a reseller, but was hoping to have two domains that share the same space.

Thanks in advance!

Laurel

Hi Laurel,

You can park a second domain overtop of your main domain. They will/must both point to your entry page of your primary domain.

You cannot point a top level domain name to a subdomain. When you access a subdomain, the address that appears in the brower will be subdomain.domain.com.

If I understand your question correctly...

The Title at the top of the browser page is something that you set. You can edit this any way you want.

Now, if you really want to get into it, you could use a database recognition and then the site would tailor itself to be "branded" per the URL "get" that is accessing it. I am not how to do this with PHP, but I am sure it is doable.

The 2nd domain is not a subdirectory of the main domain. If you want to use two separate domain names, you need to do what Bruce said and have the second "parked" on the primary domain. But they must still "enter at the same point." This means that they both have to go straight to www.yoursite.com. One cannot go to 2nddomain.yoursite.com when someone types in www.2nddomain.com. Make sense?

Search engines only have a problem because they search for www.sites.com or simply sites.com. If you have links in your site that go to sub.yoursite.com or sub.yoursite.com/1level/2level/3level..., then the engine will find it. They crawl the site based on the links from the home page, and somne are nasty and go after the cgi and standard webpage files (htm, html, xml, php, asp, etc.) in the root directory. This only becomes problematic when you have files in there you do not want indexed by search engines. This want to keep them private is a great reason for a test subdomain where you are not linking to it from any other page. You can link all over the rest of your site from this test sub, and the engines won't find it as long as you don't link back to the sub.

I'm spent

I'm just new to this. Joined in the past week.

I have my domain:

www.my-birman-noelle.com

(its under construction)

but I wanted to do another site about my other cats and will have links to each other when I'm done. Its at:

purrcity.my-birman-noelle.com

I plan to move my newsletter to one also, haven't done it yet, it will be:

newsletter1.my-birman-noelle.com

You can check out the top two if you want.

Joly

=^..^=

PS: I should add here that they have wonderful tutorials and how to's, it just took awhile for me to find them! LOL And of course the most wonderful, knowledgeable, and helpful staff here!

I love the unlimited sub domains which means I can put several things up without having to buy separate domain names and can always put a link in my sites to them without them all having to be in my main site. Does that make sense? :P Plus with all the space they give you who can ask for more.

Joly,

Your use of the subdomains violates the Acceptable Use Policy and your account will be terminated... Nah... just joshing ya. I had to do it... I haven't played any jokes in a looong while.

Actually, your use of the subdomains is exactly as intended. If you are sending out links to your newsletter as newsletter1.my-birman-noelle.com or linking to it from within your site, or even outside your site, then that is fine. It is if you go out and buy www.newsletter1my-birman-noelle.com and then point it toward newsletter1.my-birman-noelle.com that is becomes a problem.

capiche? :goof:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I was in the market for transferring my domain and hosting to a new provider and I came across or site. And read every thing every where even on sub domains which I love,

Well my ? is own heartofdestiny .net and .org my wife owns .com ;) and I and my wife want to link between them all including sub domain but I read in you creating a sub domain that you can not link between sub domain if the topics don’t match like for EX. I have http://moonprisms.heartofdestiny.net which is about Japanese Animation and I have another witch is http://estories.heartofdestiny.net/ which is Just stories that I get in email that I like to put up now if I understand the page I read I can not link them right. The reason I ask this is because my wife and I want to make .com, .net and .org like a 3 domain network with different topics but if and put like little ads says if you interested in Japanese Animation you can go click here for http://moonprisms.heartofdestiny.net this add would be placed on .com. .org

If you’re unsure on what I am taking about take a trip over to http://www.heartofdestiny.com or http://www.heartofdestiny.net once there you might understand

if we can do what we are doing then you would have a new family member soon

What you are wanting to do is have three top level domains using sub domain space and that is what is not allowed (unless you purchase a reseller account).

You could have heartofdestiny.com and park .org and .net on top of it but they are all to point to the index.html of your .com.

Lost another one to the "View New Posts" crack. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

The Search Engines (SE) have no problem with subdomains. The SEs look at pages instead of entire sites so they don't care if it seems the sub-page should be under the main or not... it's just another page that stands or falls on its own merit.

If you have two domain names pointing at the same page the SEs may see it as spam, or at least duplicated pages, and may do anything from nothing to banning both. Most likely they will just ignore one and it will always be the one you really want them to list.

Another advantage of subdomains is that the stats are tracked separately. I have a charter fishing boat client that wanted to put up his 1969 GTO page for everyone to see. That was fine but it made it tough to see who came looking for fishing so I created the gto.**** site. Now I get each set of statistics on who visits separately.

But if I put them on top of each other I wont be able to keep the independent of each other like .com is my wives and she puts what she would like and I own .net and I put what I would like and .org would be about organizations how to contact them

ok one more question i own .net and .org my wfe .com if i get a reseller acount and add my domains to it for now, Later can i add the .com to that acount and have all three domains under one acount

Ps. on the last reply i posted in about 10 second after i posted you were reading and replying to good service Rock Sign Thumbs Up

ok one more question i own .net and .org my wfe .com if i get a reseller acount and add my domains to it for now, Later can i add the .com to that acount and have all three domains under one acount

Ps. on the last reply i posted in about 10 second after i posted you were reading and replying to good service Rock Sign Thumbs Up

Having a reseller account you could host as many domain names as you wish in your space alloted. So you could continue to add domains until you run out of space.

ok thank you for you time chances are i will move in as soon as my other provider term ends thank you again

Glenn mentioned...

Now, if you really want to get into it, you could use a database recognition and then the site would tailor itself to be "branded" per the URL "get" that is accessing it. I am not how to do this with PHP, but I am sure it is doable.

So if I have a domain (I do), and if I have another domain parked on top of that domain (I also do), it is _not_ a violation of the AUP to process the incoming request (with PHP, for instance) and serve different data depending on which domain is accessed?

If that is a correct interpretation, where is the line drawn? That is to say - it's easy enough with PHP to look at the incoming request and redirect someone to a subdomain, which is essentially the same as pointing directly at the subdomain, which _is_ apparently a violation of the AUP.

So is it okay if the redirection doesn't go to a subdomain, and the page is hosted in the top level directory? Or is it only okay if the 'branding' work is actually done in the same page, without any redirection at all? For instance:

>if domain1 print 'domain1' else print 'domain2'

Vastly simplified, naturally. :(

The Title at the top of the browser page is something that you set. You can edit this any way you want.

The 2nd domain is not a subdirectory of the main domain. If you want to use two separate domain names, you need to do what Bruce said and have the second "parked" on the primary domain. But they must still "enter at the same point." This means that they both have to go straight to www.yoursite.com. One cannot go to 2nddomain.yoursite.com when someone types in www.2nddomain.com. Make sense?

You are taking it out of context. Glenn is talking about changing the TITLE of the web page that is being displayed.

Your parked domain must enter your site at the same point as your regular domain.

Hi Bruce - Thanks for the note, but I'm still not clear.

Your parked domain must enter your site at the same point as your regular domain.

So if the entry point is the same (I'm assuming index.html, or the equivalent index file), but that entry point then parses the request and serves different information from the same markup (ie, still within index.html), it would be okay?

I think that I'm having trouble with the difference - I mean, the AUP says 'only one domain'. If you can change the title attribute, then it seems that that's not a hard-and-fast rule of 'only one domain', because you're in effect serving different data based on the domain. I'd just like to understand how the line is being drawn, to make sure that I don't do something that crosses it.

Changing the title is simply a matter of altering the output markup. If the title can be changed, why can't other markup elements within that same page also be changed?

When you enter www.****** it goes to the default page (index.html, index.php, etc).

When you park a domain it must load the same default page. Now what your index.html (index.php) does at that point is up to you.

You cannot point a domain to a subdomain (folder) within your webspace (unless you have a reseller account).

Does that help clear it up?

Edited by TCH-Bruce

When you park a domain it must load the same default page. Now what your index.html (index.php) does at that point is up to you.

So, as long as the same index page is loaded for both domains, that page can display different data, depending on the host requested? Not meaning to be stubborn. Really. ;) I just want to understand what I can and cannot do.

Sweet. For anyone who needs the PHP, try something like this:

><?php
if ($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']=="domain1.com")
 print("Welcome to domain1.com!");
else
 print("Welcome to domain2.com!");
?>

You may want to work with regular expressions, so you don't have to list domain1.com, www.domain1.com, etc. And you may want to add more than that in there. But that's all there is to it.

Thanks Bruce!

Statistics go by the address used to access the content, so yes, using the folder would be different than the subdomain.

There isn't any way in CPanel to limit the usage of a subdomain to the sub only and not folder. What I would do if I were you, is if your pages will be in PHP< add something like

>if($_SERVER['SCRIPT_FILENAME'] == "home/cpaneluser/public_html/subdomainfildername/script.php")
{
header("Location: http://abc.xyz.com/script.php");
}

• 3 weeks later...

For example, can I do this?

cooking.domain.com - a recipe website

game.domain.com - a fansite created for a game i'm playing

www.domain.com - my main website showcasing my portfolio, profile, and my various web projects (such as the recipe and game site above)

• 2 weeks later...
Rob, you win! ;)

You are allowed to have unlimited sub domains on your account. You cannot however go out and purchase a new domain name and point it to your newly created sub domain (unless you have a reseller plan).

If you buy a reseller hosting plan and only put a single website on it, is there a limit to the amount of domain names that can point to a subdomain?

ie: I own a.com, b.com & c.com

with a reseller plan, I can point a.com to w.myname.com; b.com to r.myname.com and c.com to p.myname.com.

You can do this with reseller hosting, but not shared, correct?