New Domain Name - Already Spam - More Confusion

I registered a new domain name last night with godaddy. It resolved/propagated tonight (about 20 hours later - about normal).

I go into my horde e-mail for the first time - and already there are five spam messages. My new domain name is rather obscure. The only thing I can figure - spammers are crawling the whois database everyday.

I sent some test messages to my new account, and it appears almost anything goes through (without bouncing). That is, I tried variations of anything@newaccont.com and it doesn't bounce - it goes into my inbox.

Yet, I posted another similar thread in this forum a few nights ago about a different account. On that account, nothing seems to be going through (always bounced) until I first set up and account where I defined the e-mail address. So now, I'm really confused as to what will - and won't work on new e-mail accounts - until we set them up. I just sent another test message to anything@the-other-account, and it still bounces. Whats the difference between the two accounts? They are both under the same reseller account. Why is one accepting anything before the @ symbol and the other account rejecting anything before the @ symbol - (unless I've specifically set it up)????

You may already know this, but for anyone new:

By default,

a new account is set up with the cpanel name as your default email

and is a catch all, or will accept anything.

You can change your default e-mail to :blackhole: in cpanel > e-mail

and then set up the accounts you want.

Don't forget to change your contact e-mail at the top of cpanel here

to something not at your site, like your ISP e-mail, so you can be contacted if you site is not working.

----

edit

ouch! good tip

Edited by TCH-Don

I tried username@1st-account, and it bounced. This is the account that bounces everything - unless I’ve added the e-mail address.

I then tried username@2nd-account, and it accepted it. This is the account that seems to accept anything – unless I’ve blocked it.

Anyways, I will try the blackhole thing.

Turns out that the "default" address on one account was not set to my cpanel username. It was set to the default username that the web hosting manager uses with a new account. Thing is, I changed that - to a format I use for all my reseller accounts. Double checked it from my web hosting manager, it was set to what I changed it to. But somehow the web hosting manager default name stuck in my cpanel e-mail account. So, I changed the default e-mail address to match my cpanel name.

NOW both accounts work the same (accept just about anything without bouncing).

It appears this is the rule:

If the default e-mail account is set to your cpanel name, it will accept anything until you set up filters. If the default e-mail is NOT the same as your cpanel name, it will bounce almost everything - until you add accounts.

Well, that's what seems to be the case for now - after much experimenting.

Hi,

If you are forwarding your default account to :blackhole: your mails simply get Deleted.

If you set the forward for your default account to :fail: it would let the mails Bounceback .

No matter what is your cpanel account name, if a forwarder is set with that name, you can choose what to do with your mails on that default account.

TIP: Don't forget the Colons when setting up forwarders.