Sign in to follow this  
Virtual Imager

Images Not Displaying For Some

So this morning I'm in a meeting with a publisher and I wanted him to look at something on my site. When he pulled it up he couldn't see any images at all. Just boxes with red x's in them wherever an image should have been. Don't know what browser he uses (it wasn't an appropriate time to question him and spend time trying to fix it).

As soon as I got home I checked it on my computer and it looked fine. Knowing that sometimes the images could be displaying from my hard drive and not from the internet, I ran upstairs and checked it on my husband's computer. Still looked fine. Both IE, by the way.

So I have two requests: first, does anyone know what the problem could be on my publisher's computer and what I should tell him to do? I thought that maybe he's got something set to text only, or maybe it's a security setting? Second, could you all take a look at my site (virtualconceptions.com) and let me know if the images are there? He was only at two pages, the index page and the Virtual Arizona image gallery.

Thanks all...

VI

PS: if the meeting (which otherwise went very well) pans out the way I hope, you can look for my calendars and books coming soon!!! :dance:

Do you have hotlinking on?

Some times you see a cashed image after it stops working right,

and you need to dissable it for a while.

Thanks Don. I just disabled it. Can't really tell if that did anything... since I was able to see the images all the time. Did you happen to look at the site? Were you able to see them? I'm not sure I understand... if I have hotlinking enabled, then I can see cached images but other people may not see anything???

How long should I leave it disabled?

VI

For me I saw them at home, but not at work.

I dissabled it for a day.

This happened a few times,

so I made a text file with the list of authorized sites

that I can paste back in,

as sometimes when dissabling, it loses some of the sites.

I went through most of the site and they all pulled up fine (IE6.0). I always like looking at the Virtual Paris ones. :)

Thanks, everyone, for checking. And for the nice comments.

Bellringer, glad you like them. I get more hits on that Paris page than any other... I guess you're not alone. I'm kind of partial to the NY images myself.... except when I'm in a Maui mood. And, I can't get enough of the autumn colors (I don't see them much living in the desert). Well.... I guess variety really is the spice of life!

Thanks again to all...

VI

I noticed that on the home page at the image galleries, the Virtual Americana links to a page on your hard drive:

"file:///C:/homepage/virtualcandles&usa.htm#americana" instead of the website (screen shot didn't capture the mouse)

Maybe some various random links are like that too?

later,

!!blue

post-167-1082518989_thumb.jpg

The images are visible now. I couldn't see them before just like your publisher.

Suggestion: when you enable hotlink protection check 'Allow direct requests' box.

Thanks, I'll do that. I'm almost afraid to enable it again since Don said it happens periodically. This can be very embarrassing. On Monday I emailed links to my site to several prospective commercial clients. It had taken me months to get referred to the 'right' people in these companies and I reallly wanted to make a good impression and secure an interview when I get to NY in May. I just can't imagine what they thought when they got to the site. :) How very unprofessional! How tacky!

I wonder, too, how long this was going on.... my stats indicate that visit time has been down all month. Does this problem persist till fixed? If so that's a big problem, since the site owner sees cached pages and doesn't even know there's a problem. Any way to monitor whether or not hotlinking has 'stopped working' as Don termed it?

Well I'm hoping to do a complete site redesign soon.... hopefully it will incorporate some other type of image protection and I won't need the hotlink protection. One can only hope....

VI