How Many Visitors Does Your Site Get?

Adamski

I was just interested to know how many visitors your sites get a day? Mine has google pr of 5, in the google & dmoz directories and still doesnt get hardly any visitors!

The google pr only updated today from 2 to 5, but im not really sure what higher pr does? Any tips.

Adam

My personal site isn't getting crap...maybe like 20something unique visits..but google hasn't cached any of my pages yet...they just indexed the site...I'm stuck here..

I did run a site a year ago that got upto 80k unique visits, it was a bittorrent links site...its all gone now...heh Couldn't afford a dedicated server for it.

If your pr only updated today you have to wait till google reindex your site and your placement will change. Still there will be a lot of sites ahead of you - who have pr 6 and title "panic attack" [or something like that].

If you just opened you site you can't really expect many visitors from search engines. You have to find and invite them [visitors] :(

Speaking of being listed in google & dmoz directories. Do you ever use them to find something? I never :dance:

I have a small family site, and my record (for the three months I've been here) is 218. :) Many of those were most likely from people looking at my St. Lucia pics since I posted the site on Trip Advisor with my review.

Haven't a clue what my Google ranking is, and I haven't bothered looking up what dmoz is (never heard of it outside of these boards). :P

I can't imagine getting 90,000 a month on a site!!! Holy jumpin' teddy bears! :)

I am happy with my 150 a month but then I just have a little family website. Interesting thing this month is I've had 42 visitors as of 04/07 but 75 bookmarks! What's up with thaaaaaa-aaaaaat? :unsure:

hehe - two of those bookmarks are mine, Bunni. ;) One at home and one at work. :unsure:

Ooooohhhh! :)

I kinda thought maybe it was the result of double (or more) bookmarking but Jan thru Mar were all in the 15-20 range for bookmarks for the month. I was curious. :)

section31...just curious what plan do you have with TCH...your site seems popular!!!good for you!!! :P

youneverknow

The site has been shut down now for over 8 months..it outgrew the tch package i had it on in a few weeks...I had to switch to a semi dedicated server elsewhere...however, i run my 2 personal sites on tch still...which gets only a handful of visits a day..hehe.. I get that warm feeling inside hosting my personal sites with tch, the most reliable and dedicated webhost. Rock Sign

OH BTW

Google finally cached my index page...finally....Remember i stated earlier that it had just indexed the page but hadn't cached it yet. Now I just pray that google starts crawling through the site. Does this normally a take another few weeks after it caches it?

I've visited your site a few times, buni. That Blake is one sweetie pie!! I can see someone has his Nana's heart!! :heart

I like your galleries alot. You're good motivation for me to keep plugging away at learning coding myself. I've only owned the book for 3 years now! B) Wonder if I put it under my pillow ..... :dance:

I am about 2000 unique ip's per month but only a PR4 from Google, still working on back links. I am having issues with getting PR4 or better back links. I have some 700 back links but only 3 are PR4 or better, and one of those is my main page! LOL

I have seen allot of Google references in this post, but no quotes on how many Google referrals there have been for your efforts. For example: I have ~2000 unique visitors but only 85 are from Google.... curious what the ratio of visitors to Google visitors are for others?

(BTW: any photo related sites that want to do a backlink exchange feel free to send me an email and we can work out the details.... Thanks)

Mr. Bill :Nerd:

I've visited your site a few times, buni. That Blake is one sweetie pie!! I can see someone has his Nana's heart!! :heart

I like your galleries alot. You're good motivation for me to keep plugging away at learning coding myself. I've only owned the book for 3 years now! :) Wonder if I put it under my pillow ..... :P

Thank you, Beth! :)

Yes, Blake is adorable and makes his old Grammee proud. And now Grandchild #2 is on the way! It just gets better and better!

Keep working with your code. I've been doing this stuff off and on since '96. I still refer to my Dummies books on a regular basis. A lot of it is trial and error (plus a hubby who is a wealth of knowledge and often guides me when it's hair-pulling time!) :)

I have seen allot of Google references in this post, but no quotes on how many Google referrals there have been for your efforts.

Using last month (MAR) for an example:

534 unique visitors

MSN - 95

Yahoo - 64

Google - 53

It was flipped a few months ago but since Google changed their algorithm in November and my site went way-low on their SE the numbers have dropped... as one would expect. I have pretty high rankings on several other SEs so it also stands to reason Yahoo and MSN would bring me more traffic since I'm higher there. I wonder, if all other things were equal, how they would compare if for example we were #3 on all 3 SEs.

It is interesting that Google dropped a fair amount and Yahoo and MSN picked up even more than G dropped.

I have seen allot of Google references in this post, but no quotes on how many Google referrals there have been for your efforts.

Using March for my site:

1944 unique visitors

- Google 376

- Yahoo 78

- MSN 47

Don't have a clue of my Page Rank but at one time it was a 4 I think.

where do i find this "pr of" thing? :P

For anyone unfamiliar with it, PR is the Google PageRank and it is their measure of how popular a page is. It ranges from 0 to 10 and it is easier to get from 1 to 2 than from 4 to 5. It measures how many pages link to yours, the PR of those pages, etc. If you get several pages with high PR linking to yours then yours will be higher than if they had low PR. It is by no means an ultimate measure of things but it is used somewhat heavily in the calculations of where Google puts your page when folks search for your keywords.

• 2 weeks later...

That 9 DOES look good. my page rank bounced from 5 to 9 all week. Everytime I checked my site and it was at or above 8 I would run and get something to drink,cold with foam on top, only to check a little later to find it back to 5. Its has been on 5 all day today and I have a hangover.

Sorry I missed this thread guys... it fell through the "view new posts" crack.

Indeed, the higher pagerank is the better pagerank. The scale claims to be 0-10 with 0 being generally a penalized site and no-score being one that's not been ranked yet. There are others, such as the guy at www.searchnerd.com/pagerank/ , that say Google must have a PR of 11. Not that any of us will ever see that but it's fun to know anyway.

Pagerank is really bouncing lately. I don't know if Google is doing new algorithms or maybe they added in a new batch of websites that causes things to fluxuate. The way PR is calculated depends on other pages and it's one of those things that don't exist as a single point in time, but rather a moving target we "try" to hit.

I have no clue what the "rank" of the site I have hosted here is, but I do know we get more visitors than we want! (heh) God knows how it happened, but if you do a search for "tupac" and "death" or "dead", the site is one for the first couple listed. At least it's providing us with entertainment. You wouldn't believe what some of these people have to say...

• 2 weeks later...

8747 unique visitors from May 9th until today. 73046 pages, 1.64 GB

Manageable...

Rustybrick said my rank is 6, predicted drop to 5.

But what's really interesting was that some pages from another domain was dropped from Google. But then I added a link to one of those pages from my front page. Instant number 1 in Google for the link text! And that's even though they hadn't cached the page yet! I'm guessing the reason those pages got added to Google in the first place was because I'd had a link, and when I dropped it (thinking they'd do well anyway), they got dropped.

Rustybrick also predicted my personal page would go from 5 to 8. Now I'll believe that when I see it...

Gikkkkkkkkk!

Page rank=1.

Actually, I find this odd, given that I've had over 300 visitors so far this month, and my overall monthly average is over 400.

Somehow, though, Google dropped me from its index in the last two months or so, while my most popular page, which had appeared on the first page of results for inquiries about the U.S. invasion of Iraq quite consistently for months, suddenly faded from the results. My traffic plunged—and is only now reviving, thanks in part to Yahoo, MSN and other search engines that have picked up some of the slack.

I still wonder what I have to do to get Google to restore my site to its proper place in the world, so to speak.

Annie, do you have any references about the outgoing link thing? I hadn't heard that and am curious about it.

Just a few comments from previous posts - I'd gotten a bit behind on this thread.

Pagerank from the Google Toolbar is unreliable. What the toolbar reports is not necessarily what Google uses internally and some even think it is a decoy by Google to keep webmasters/SEO folks off balance.

The Rustybrick link is a farce in my opinion. They do not have access to the millions of sites that Google does to come to the new value and even if they did I'm sure they don't have the processing power to calculate it. Remember what they say:

This is an estimation and should not be considered factual, please use with the intention of entertainment purposes only.

Pagerank does not usually closely match visits either. Remember that Google is just one of many ways people can get to your site. There are other engines, bookmarks, links from others and just typing in an address. Google pagerank is also not the same as your placement on the Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs) either. Pagerank is Google's measure of how popular your site is based on links to it. Your SERP position is decided by hundreds of factors such as text on your page, title, alt tags, and even pagerank.

There is a tool called the "Website Position Reporter" that will use the Google API keycode to tell you your rank in the SERPs. There are also online places that do the same such as www.digitalpoint.com/tools/ which will tell you where you stand on a given key phrase.

One caution about watching your SERP position on Google... if you do it every day you will get seasick because it fluctuates pretty badly at times. If you drop way down, or out of existance the most important thing to do is nothing. It is probably just a calculation phase they are going through and in almost every case you will bounce back in a week or two unless you were penalized for spamming (which is rare.)

Another thing is that when a page is first ranked it usually gets a boost toward the top of the SERPs for awhile and then settles back down to the "real" rank.

I would not put too much stock in pagerank since it is only one measure Google uses and probably hundreds of thousands of people don't even use Google. For instance, one of my sites has had 42 visitors that found us from Google but 35 from Yahoo and 52 from MSN. It is good to get links from other sites if you want to get listed higher in Google. It helps people find you when they are on other sites and see the link to you. For Google it's better if the site is relevant to your site and they use your keyphrase in the words that link to you. For everyone else it helps if someone is looking at local schools and they see a link to your school supply site so relevance is good regardless.

Never forget that Google is not the only game in town! If you had a brick and mortar business, would you only put ads on one board in one grocery store or would you consider radio, tv, signs out front, business cards, word of mouth, etc? The same with a web page/online business.

Well, it's a long post but I hope it helps some!

I look at http://www.webpronews.com/, their newsletter. Quite a lot of speculation, and always updated with the newest rumor about Google. I believe that's where I read about the outgoing links algo change.

As for search engine traffic, I'll share mine. This is from May 9 to May 21, the time my site has been on TCH.

My site gets hits for hundreds of different keywords, since it's a directory site (among other things). My top search phrase got 328 hits, and top search word got 1233 during that time (for all search engines).

post-33-1085233404_thumb.jpg

I used to get their newsletter...

I get tons of traffic from Google, and hardly any from MSN or Yahoo. My ranks in those two are really low, but not in Google. I'm trying to figure out why...

(Well, not neccessarily low, but low enough that I'm hard to find compared to Google)

You can use the Google toolbar (don't know if it's available for the Mac)

Or you can go here and enter your URL and it will tell you.

http://www.rustybrick.com/pagerank-prediction.php

I'm sure there are other ways to find out.

BRUCE!

Thanks for that link!

This is what they told me...

Results: Your current Google PageRank is 4. Based on our calculations, we predict your future PageRank after the next Google update will be 4, a decrease of 0.17%.

Is that ok?

Weezy

I dont get it.

I went to Bruce´s link to and it told me this

Results: Your current Google PageRank is 4. Based on our calculations, we predict your future PageRank after the next Google update will be 4, an increase of 1.56%.

If im not mistaking... 4+1.56 = 5.56 or 4-1.56 = 2.44 which means i should have a ranking of 2.44 or 5.56, correct?

Edited by Jikrantz

I get tons of traffic from Google, and hardly any from MSN or Yahoo. My ranks in those two are really low, but not in Google. I'm trying to figure out why...

(Well, not neccessarily low, but low enough that I'm hard to find compared to Google)

Robert, I looked on Yahoo and MSN for your first keyword phrase "free online multiplayer gaming" and you showed up at #3 on each. You are at #6 and #9 without the quotes even. Where do you want to be, on the main page in big red letters? :D j/k

I also looked on Google and couldn't find you in the first 5 pages for that term. For what it's worth I am experiencing the same kind of thing, although not quite as successfully for my search terms, and attribute it to the low number of backlinks making Google unhappy.

In your case, maybe the MSN/Yahooers aren't as interested in gaming as Googlers?

Thomas, Weezy:

Apparently that link isn't very trustworthy. From Jim's post:

The Rustybrick link is a farce in my opinion. They do not have access to the millions of sites that Google does to come to the new value and even if they did I'm sure they don't have the processing power to calculate it. Remember what they say:

This is an estimation and should not be considered factual, please use with the intention of entertainment purposes only.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

If im not mistaking... 4+1.56 = 5.56 or 4-1.56 = 2.44 which means i should have a ranking of 2.44 or 5.56, correct?

Incorrect,

4+1.56 does equal 5.56 but the equation is 4+1.56% and that equals 4.0624. Round that down and it is still 4.

Robert, I looked on Yahoo and MSN for your first keyword phrase "free online multiplayer gaming" and you showed up at #3 on each. You are at #6 and #9 without the quotes even. Where do you want to be, on the main page in big red letters? :) j/k

I also looked on Google and couldn't find you in the first 5 pages for that term. For what it's worth I am experiencing the same kind of thing, although not quite as successfully for my search terms, and attribute it to the low number of backlinks making Google unhappy.

In your case, maybe the MSN/Yahooers aren't as interested in gaming as Googlers?

Ahh... Well, at least I rank high on Yahoo/MSN for "free"

My target search is "online multiplayer games"

Wow, I guess I do rank well on Yahoo/MSN for a couple things. I suppose that's kinda good. I rank at #3 on Google for... Uhh.. "online multiplayer gaming" I think.

Actually, I think my miserable Google pagerank is real. I checked "link:www.squort.com" at the Google site, and found that they list zero links to my site. This would also conform with the known facts, including my apparent disappearance from their index, the fact that until last week my site did not appear in Google's results for "squort" at all, and the total cessation of all Google traffic since that time. This despite the fact that several quite high-ranking sites do actually link to mine.

I note with some satisfaction, however, that my most popular page currently ranks fifth in results for terms as broad as "u.s. invade" (with or without the quotation marks).

A bit suspicious, though, this matter with Google.

A bright but somewhat unstable Indonesian chess player (and computer programmer) of my acquaintance once had a tantrum at my expense and privately announced that he had "declared war on me." He later regained his composure for a while, but during a subsequent blowup privately notified me that he had learned my IP number, and that "it would be trivial for [him] to delete [my] site from Google's index" and added that he would also make sure my most popular page "disappeared." By this, I assumed he meant from the results pages.

Google, of course, denies that any such thing could happen and says I must have fallen afoul of some sudden new problem indexing "pages with Flash content," as their e-mail said.

Now, it may well be that Google is right. Perhaps they have perfect, unhackable security and use foolproof procedures that absolutely foreclose any possibility of tampering, as indeed their information pages claim. By much the same token, it may well be that the blue pancakes from Venus will overrun the earth starting tomorrow at 6:27 a.m. GMT.

It is noteworthy that Google isn't aware of any of my incoming links, even though some of them do appear even in its results pages for "squort." And perhaps (indeed, statistically it is very probable that) this is all pure coincidence, which the Law of Very Large Numbers tells us has a greater reach than we might think. But it still makes me wonder .... :)

I've run into that before. What I do when I don't find any links to a page, is that I search for the site name, like this:

squort.com

Google then asks me how I want to procede, and I click on results that contain that term. Google then presents me with lots of hits, and a slightly modified search term:

"squort.+com"

You've got a link from Rush Limbaugh?

No. Never. Not in a vigintillion millennia.

The link is from Rush Limbaugh Online, which is a parody site working to overtake the actual Limbaugh sites in popularity. Funny stuff. :)

The link:mysite.com feature of Google does not act sanely. Some say it shows only PR4 or better sites, others say not even that is definite.

The best thing is +squort.+com which shows 19 links currently.

Now that's funny! :) You gotta know where Boojum is coming from to appreciate the humor but it's great!

I'm not sure Rush could stand to be in the same room with her and can pretty much guess that it's mutual, eh, Boojum? ;)

Now that's funny! :) You gotta know where Boojum is coming from to appreciate the humor but it's great!

I'm not sure Rush could stand to be in the same room with her and can pretty much guess that it's mutual, eh, Boojum? ;)

Jim,

I'm a bit confused. Who's the "her" to whom you refer? Annie?

If you think I'm a "her," you're not quite as knowledgeable as I thought you were. :)

(See my May 19 entry under "Birthdays and Anniversaries.")

I'm a bit confused. Who's the "her" to whom you refer? Annie?

If you think I'm a "her," you're not quite as knowledgeable as I thought you were. :)

(See my May 19 entry under "Birthdays and Anniversaries.")

Come on, I'm supposed to read and remember every entry in every forum? :)

I had just woke up from a nap. I know you aren't a her but my brain was in a fog.

Sometimes I think I know everything but can only remember about 1% of it at any given time. ;)

As I have heard said - "my mind is like a steel trap, it's just rusted shut at the moment."

Apropos of that last: My mother once informed me that she had "the mind of a steel trap."

As for the knowing everything but only being able to remember one percent of it, that's a more common idea than you might think—and it's arguable that this is the consequence of our imperfect access to C.G. Jung's Collective Unconscious.

On the other hand, H.P. Lovecraft expressed a countervailing understanding of this issue when (in "The Call of Cthulhu") he opined that, "The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of the black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far...."

andypeat:

That's odd. I thought page rank zero only occurred in cases of penalization for spamming and the like.

Y'ain't one o' them goldurn spammers, are ya? :)

Pagerank of 0 is just an unpopular site, in Google's view. If it's penalized the PR bar in Google's toolbar would be grey which is different than zero.

I'm not sure how the online pagerank tools rate them though.