Add On Domains...how Does It Work...i Think

Hi TCH family,

juma here I have a couple questions:

I have a client who wants a website...cool...but he can afford to pay for hosting...not cool...but since he is also my friend I dont mind him piggybacking on my server space cuz right now I'm now using all of it. i was wondering (sorry if this is a dumb question) if TCH allows access to other domains off the same server space with is seeming like it has its own severspace altogether: i.e. so that my original domain name will never appear in the addressbar one the user begins browsing the other site...If so how is it done? I know Cpanel has add on domians but I done really understand the concept and its limitations.

All help appreciated B)

thanks

juma

Sorry for a normal hosting account you

"may not point another domain name to a portion, folder or subdomain"

for that you would need a reseller account.

Cpanel Addon domains is dissabled for normal accounts.

Edited by TCH-Don

Phew!! I'm using "GoDaddy." I set it up to forward to the site I want it to go to, do I have this taken care of now? Thanks a bunch!!

Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign Rock Sign

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry, I'm new to all this domain stuff...just saw this thread.

So you're saying that if my domain (through a reseller) is

www.abc.com

it is against the rules for me to create a subfolder called blah, and then through godaddy forward www.blah.com to www.abc.com/blah

Is that accurate?

If that is breaking the rules, can you tell me a little more about parked domains? Can a parked domain be set to go to www.abc.com/blah or could it only go to www.abc.com?

Do parked domains have any kind of masking/aliasing so that the user still sees www.blah.com as the URL even though he is really at www.abc.com?

Also, if I'm hosted through a reseller, would I submit a ticket to TCH to park the domain, or would I have to go through my reseller?

Thanks.

So you're saying that if my domain (through a reseller) is

www.abc.com

it is against the rules for me to create a subfolder called blah, and then through godaddy forward www.blah.com to www.abc.com/blah

Is that accurate?

That is accurate as per the Acceptable Use Policy
Your subdomains are allowed to be used for any legal purpose. You may not sell the subdomain space to others, nor may you point other domain names to your subfolders.

If that is breaking the rules, can you tell me a little more about parked domains? Can a parked domain be set to go to www.abc.com/blah or could it only go to www.abc.com?

Do parked domains have any kind of masking/aliasing so that the user still sees www.blah.com as the URL even though he is really at www.abc.com?

You can only have a single entry point for your site on a virtual hosting account. So www.blah.com can be parked on top of www.abc.com and both would show the same content when entered in the browser. There is no masking/aliasing other than what is available through cPanel or the .htaccess file.

Also, if I'm hosted through a reseller, would I submit a ticket to TCH to park the domain, or would I have to go through my reseller?

That's a question I am not sure of but I would assume through your reseller as he is the TCH customer and you are a customer of his.

If you are hosted by a reseller you would need to contact the reseller to determine his or her policies. Reseller accounts do have access to add-on domains and can create accounts that use add-on domains if they wish. You would also need to contact them concerning parked domains. Any Help Desk requests should come from the reseller.

Ok, now I'm confused.

TCH-Don says:

Sorry for a normal hosting account you

"may not point another domain name to a portion, folder or subdomain"

for that you would need a reseller account.

But after duffs said he was on a reseller account, TCH-Bruce said he could *not* point to a subdomain because it would violate the AUP.

So can resellers point domains to subdomains/other folders or no?

In line with this, what exactly is the difference between an add-on domain and a parked domain, anyway? I understand parking domains, so that's not a problem. I don't understand how an add-on domain is different. What is the dis/advantage to using add-ons vs. parking?