Tch Servers/opinion

HCSuperStores

Hey there fellow TCH Family,

From what I have gathered most, if not all TCH servers, are now operating on quad Xenon servers. My last hosting company was touting dual (older) P4 systems as if that was something to be drooled over. Maybe to replace MY personal server, but to do what TCH does ... yawn ...

Anyway, I've been looking into and following the history of the Opteron chip development. It seems to do well with the new Linux core and has always scored well in general. In addition, I read an article that might peak someone's interest here on the subject.

I am curious if TCH (Bill) shows any interest in this area to explore what AMD/IBM offers for servers and how you feel about any performance/cost numbers if you have done them.

One benefit I do keep reading about is the amount of heat generated by the Intel chips v.s. AMD.

You might call me an "AMD Hopeful". I'm always one for free market and when I see one company dominate a particular market I just can't help myself by cheering on the underdog. In the end it makes life better for all to have things a little more balanced.

Any opinion is welcome if you have more to add to the debate on this technology.

I can sort of chime in here and shed a little light on what _could_ be in the pipes.

From what I see, Bill uses Dell servers exclusively. This is in keeping with the name brand hardware that is a selling point for TCH.

Currently, Dell uses on Intel processors in their boxes. If Dell were to ever start using AMD's, then I would suspect you would see that underdog come into play around here. Until then...

I have a personal aside for this as well.

I have used many different server platforms from DEC, Sun, IBM and Dell in the past. I have to say that I always got the best performance from the company from Dell. I am talking about warranty work, customer service and hardware reliability. I began to use Dell exclusively over the last several years and still look to them first when looking for new hardware. I am just that sold on their product, personally.

Now, I will end this commercial with a note:

The IBM E-series servers are pretty stinkin nice, but very heavy in the overhead they carry with the self-healing rigamaroll they are touting. When you add features like that, you invariably start having to take away from raw performance ability. But you do gain a certain measure of availability and reliability as long as you steer clear of the reported limits of the boxes.

I'm always one for free market and when I see one company dominate a particular market I just can't help myself by cheering on the underdog. In the end it makes life better for all to have things a little more balanced.

:D Well said!

(I run Linux Mandrake 9.x on AMD hardware.)

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your incredibly eliquent response! I see age is taking its toll on you. :D (I know ... I'm gonna pay for that one!)

My question is not a plug for AMD or any other server for that matter. God knows I've been extremely happy with the performance of TCH servers.

I was just curious if you, in your business thoughts, had ever entertained the possiblity of trying a dual or quad AMD box.

I'm sure there's much to balance in the equation of what servers to run. I also understand that cheaper is not better, and that new is not all that sometimes either. But I personally follow AMD in their plight and have been impressed by their performance over the past year more than ever.

If you had reasons for being an "Intel Only" server shop I was interested in hearing your thought process. Glenn did have a couple of points. Maybe you had something more to add?

Just discussion ... not plug!