Dmoz.org

gaberville

I just read this from the blog at ODP (DMOZ's other name:)), for what it's worth:

Google will still include our data, however it will be relegated to a level of lower importance.

It seems that DMOZ is losing it's umph as a major player. It's still going to be crawled by Google, for now at least, and that will help get you into Google for sure, but it's not such a big deal as it once was.

In fact, some SEOs advise against obsessing about DMOZ. Try it and if you get in, fine and if you don't then fine too.

I just read this from the blog at ODP (DMOZ's other name:)), for what it's worth:
Google will still include our data, however it will be relegated to a level of lower importance.

It seems that DMOZ is losing it's umph as a major player. It's still going to be crawled by Google, for now at least, and that will help get you into Google for sure, but it's not such a big deal as it once was.

In fact, some SEOs advise against obsessing about DMOZ. Try it and if you get in, fine and if you don't then fine too.

Thats good to know!!! Thanks.

-gabe

• 2 weeks later...

One note that I would offer regarding DMOZ, only submit once. If you have subscribed to a service (which I personally would never recommend) or you just routinely submit, you will automatically get bumped to the bottom of the queue.

Thus you could be almost at the door and then get pushed back to the end of the line.

Time on inclusion is very dependant on your particular category, some our ridiculously backlogged. As Robert stated, it can even take over a year. I too have a particular site in the queue and it has been over 15 months!

It is still important though (very important regardless of Google's downplaying), just be real patient (i.e. there is no other choice but to be).

It seems that DMOZ is losing it's umph as a major player.  It's still going to be crawled by Google, for now at least, and that will help get you into Google for sure, but it's not such a big deal as it once was.

Well thats sure good to know. I have sent in 12 requests to have a client's site moved to the correct category, and have never heard back from them. This is going on a year now. The client needed to be moved from "Clothing" to "Skin care" - kind of a big difference!

I'm not shocked that they're losing their oomph. They have been difficult to deal with for quite some time now - at least a year or so. Unresponsive, without even an acknowlegement that they got your request. Which, imho, is FINE - as long as other BIG sites aren't using your information.

Maybe its just me, but I think that when you have commited yourself to being the backbone of large search engines/directories, you are thereby obligated to keep up with things in a timely manner.

As Scott said, it is a good thing to be in DMOZ and I don't want anyone to think it won't help them, at least a little.

DMOZ, in my opinion, only became as big as it is because it was a free way to get the initial spider from Google. Once "everyone" found out that Google was spidering DMOZ, and thus the sites listed there, it became an overnight hit.

Google's going a lot of new directions, but they'll probably keep browsing DMOZ for some time to come. With the current changes regarding localities, froogle, personalized browsing, etc., those outside links become more important so don't pass on a good opportunity, just don't obsess on it.

The variability into Dmoz inclusion is easily explained... each category is supposed to have at least one human editor. Now the variability comes in because not all categories have the same number of submissions (i.e. some piles are higher then others), some categories do not have editors (hmmm) and finally not all editors are equally efficient (or should I say prompt :) ).

• 2 weeks later...

If you truly care about getting added FAST find a category that your site will fit in that doesn't have a moderator and then volunteer to edit that category!

As long as you edit all the sites in the que, that is within the rules. It also allows you to see and look at peer sites, which leads you to look at things and get ideas. :dance:

• 2 weeks later...
If you truly care about getting added FAST find a category that your site will fit in that doesn't have a moderator and then volunteer to edit that category!

I have tried 3 or 4 times (going again right now) to become an Editor for a category that firstly does not have alot of links (less than 100), and secondly and most importantly does not even HAVE an editor!!! They've rejected me twice I think, and the most recent time I couldn't even 'submit' because it was giving me some kind of error about already being an editor, but if I tried to get my password using the same username that it told me was already being used, I'd get a statement saying there was no such user. :)

Kinda makes me mad for two reasons, one because I want my site in there, but two because that category is 'messy' and there's links broken and other things.

Any tips on how to become an Editor?

Ramsey